Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting timber to size at Bunnings.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RTDavis. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about our timber cutting service.

We certainly do cut timber to size. Please be advised that some benchtop panel products are not suitable to be cut on our saw. If you are looking at doing an online order for the product, I'd advise you to phone your local store to confirm they can cut the timber for you and so we can add the details of your cutting requirements to the order. If you are able to head into your local store, then the team would be happy to provide the cutting service on the spot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

bellejane96
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hello,

Would Bunnings be able to cut an MDF board to an arch shape like pictured? would be approximately 2.2m x 1.2m.Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 12.18.13 pm.png

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bellejane96. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on timber cutting.

Our saws in-store only have the ability to cut straight lines across sheets. Cutting the arches into a 2400 x 1200mm sheet of MDF should be a relatively easy task at home with a jigsaw.

What are you making?

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to reach out any time you need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find plenty of inspiration for your projects within the community as our amazing members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

sumbozo
Finding My Feet

Cutting Hardboard Sheet to 297 x 212 cm?

Hello! I purchased a big sheet of Masonite Hardboard from Bunnings Oxenford and am hoping to just have a 297x212cm section cutout from it. Its a simple request but am hoping to find out how i can do this. In store I was told it is too small.

Thanks heaps in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting Hardboard Sheet to 297 x 212 cm?

Hi @sumbozo

I can understand why the store's cut shop was a bit hesitant to cut your Masonite. I'm afraid the cut you requested is too small and there is the possibility of damaging the Masonite if cut at that size. If you need the Masonite to be intact, you will have to use a fine-tooth saw and cut it manually. I suggest using IRWIN XPERT 375mm Fine Handsaw. It is specifically designed to cut hardwood and leave a fine finish on the cut.

Let me tag our experienced members @r23on and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Cutting the required dimensions  is easy enough but what tools do you have for cutting timber? 

If you don’t have any tooling and if you know someone with a table saw rough cut material much larger than need using a hand saw and get them to cut to size.

if your near a mens / community shed take the rough cut material and have them cut it for you.

if you can not do any of the above:-

1 buy a hand saw

2. mark out the 297 x 212 on the sheet

3. lay the sheet on something that will support the sheet while you cut the material

4. lay a length of material along the line you want to cut to and clamp it down and use it as the guide for cut to the desired dimensions.

5 do this for both dimensions. 

This same method can be used with a jig saw or circular saw if you have them.

In this case cut the length first then the width

Ah ok thanks heaps fellas, I'm gonna go with the hardwood handsaw route. 

Cheers! :smile:

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @sumbozo  all great suggestions, sometimes if I need something that small I would look at the craft section of hobby/craft stores or the craft section at Bunnings.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/boyle-craft-rectangle-placemat_p1660893

https://www.spotlightstores.com/craft-hobbies/basic-craft-supplies/timber-papier-mache/crafters-choi...

JoeAzza_0-1634336077026.png

JoeAzza_1-1634336111641.png

JoeAzza_2-1634336221424.png

JoeAzza_3-1634336331994.png

r23on
Amassing an Audience

agree good food for though for next time if the sheet has not been cut take it back and change over if possible 

Re: Wood Cutting

What I do know - is that Bunnings will not cut 'wet' timber (treated).

Fair enough.

But the way me and my son were informed of that - I take issue with. :unhappy:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects