Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dust extractor/collector for Table saw

itsme_prasoon
Finding My Feet

Dust extractor/collector for Table saw

Hi,

I have an Ozito (2000W 254MM) table saw. Please advise on what kind of dust extractor/collector will be best suited. Is connecting a vacuum a good idea?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Prasoon

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dust extractor/collector for Table saw

Hello @itsme_prasoon

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about a suitable dust collector for your Ozito table saw.

Congratulations on getting a new table saw. Nothing feels quite like getting a new tool for the shop and giving it a test run. Getting a dust extractor is one of the best ways to contain sawdust from spreading in your work area. I recommend the Ozito 1250W 20L Stainless Wet And Dry Vacuum, the fittings included are compatible with your table saw. It's a great multi-purpose vacuum cleaner and comes in a 35l size should you want a larger storage bin.

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your first project from your table saw.

Here is a handy link: How to stay safe during D.I.Y. projects by @Adam_W

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot, Eric. It helps.

Razzer
Having an Impact

Gday @itsme_prasoon 

Any wet and dry Vac will do, just as long as its got a large enough storage bin. I used to have a small dust extractor and it did an awesome job, plus didnt have to empty the bags as often. I have upgraded to a 2 stage dust extraction unit, as I now have a few big tools in the shed. Its better to have a unit that can do the job easily rather then just able to do the job. Plus it all comes down to your budget and how much space you want it to take up.

From

Razzer

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @itsme_prasoon 

As suggested any wet and dry vac will do the job, However I would look at a good unit which has a very good capacity as you will use it all over the place. another suggestion is to included a cyclone dust collection which will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Razzer called his system a two stage and at a guess he has a cyclone dust collection. There are heaps of YouTube videos on them and if your keen to build your own here is a video on how to build and all components can be obtained from Bunnings

your choice of vac will be controlled by how much you want to spend. If you don’t want to build it the cyclone collectors you can obtained them from ebay carbatec timbecon etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8jXS8Fjh8 

dbaarda
Growing in Experience

Related, I have a new version of this model, and it seems they have changed the dust extraction design and it doesn't match the manual any more. The dust extraction port on the back has a splitter with 2 ports;

Dust Extractor PortDust Extractor Port

At first I thought maybe this was two slightly different sizes for different vacuum connectors, and only attached to the straight-through port. But the dust collection was crap since most of the air was just being sucked in from the right-angle port. So you'd need to block the other port. Then I was wondering if perhaps the idea is you attach the vacuum to the right angle port and a sealed container to the straight port, and it acts as a crude separator with the larger/heavier chunks failing to make the right-angle turn and end up in the sealed container. 

But another mystery was the table came with a section of vacuum hose. There is a very slight possibility that this hose actually came with something else I've got and it was just lying around and got muddled in with the table-saw parts when I was unpacking it. However, I don't think so, because another thing I noticed is when you unscrew the black cap from the top of the blade guard, it reveals what looks like another dust extraction port;

Blade Guard Dust Extractor parts?Blade Guard Dust Extractor parts?

So I think the completely undocumented correct way to install this is to use the vacuum hose to connect the blade-guard and rear dust collection ports like this;

Correct dust extraction assembly?Correct dust extraction assembly?

So far it appears to be working OK. I can imagine the hose getting in the way for large pieces but I haven't done any of those yet. I'm not sure if this is better or worse than not using the hose and just blocking the other right-angle port.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dbaarda 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your experience with the new Ozito table saw.

It's an interesting addition to the dust collection system of the table saw. Any sawdust kickback coming from the blade will get caught by the secondary collector. However, if you had a large panel that needed to be cut down that hose would be in the way. But if you were doing multiple small cuts on smaller pieces of timber it would be efficient in collecting the dust.

I suppose closing off the secondary collector would bring back the suction on the primary collector.

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza, @TedBear and @Dave-1 for their observations on the new dust collection system.

Again, thank you for sharing your observations with the community.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @dbaarda 

You have made me think of picking up an Ozito table saw! :smile: I was scrolling through all the information I could find plus watching some youtube links.

A couple of questions.

Do you need to use that T piece adaptor or can the hose be connected straight through?

aybe with teh T piece it is mean to have a cap over it when not needed and/or the ability to use for something that needs vacumming over a different area?

Next time I am at Bunnings (usually once or twice a week lol) I will have a look as now I am interested also.

Dave

dbaarda
Growing in Experience

The T piece is not removable, it's part of the single moulded part encasing the blade underneath. So yeah, you'd need to cap it with something if you are not using the hose to the blade guard. No cap came with it, but also the hose that did come with it is not even in the parts list in the manual.

Comparing this new model with older models I've seen in youtube videos; the legs seem a bit more sturdy now, but they removed a rear table extension. This is not the place for a review, but it's worth remembering it is a fraction of the price of the competition, so it's not going to be as solid or rugged. The main body is plastic and the table and legs are pressed sheet metal. The fence only attaches at the front, and the mitre gauge feels a little sloppy in it's slot. However, for me as a hobbyist it hits a price/performance sweet spot and it'll definitely be good enough for the stuff I want to do, and if I really hit limitations I can make after-market mods/add-ons like in the hundreds of youtube examples.

One limitation I've noticed is the blade guard and riving knife it attaches to mean you cannot do non-through-cuts/dado cuts. Even if you remove the guard, the riving knife sticks up too high, so you'd have to also remove it. The manual explicitly says "WARNING! THIS TOOL IS NOT INTENDED FOR
CHANNEL OR TRENCH CUTS." and you are never supposed to use it without the guard attached. Apparently in the UK it's illegal for a table saw to not have a guard fitted, so dado blades are illegal and table saws intentionally have a "short arbor" so they can't be fitted. I don't know if this saw has a short arbor, but it would not surprise me if it did. Although limiting, this makes sense. When I first turned it on and heard the roar I thought "OMG, what have I done, this thing could permanently cripple me", and promptly re-watched every table saw safety video I could find.

This limitation also means you cannot use it with a custom sled, since the riving knife gets in the way. I would definitely not use this without a riving knife, and intend on leaving the guard on forever. When/If i really have a genuine need for a non-through cut or want to make/use a custom sled, I'll look into making or purchasing a custom low-profile riving knife.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @dbaarda 

:smile: I love the "not review" lol It gives me a lot of things to look at when i check out table saws :smile: Its pretty much the things Id want to know if I was purchasing one given in a proper review style.

As to the vacuum T piece, now it is puzzling me even more so.  Think a trip to Bunnings may be in order :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects