Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing car privacy cover plastic attachment

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Fixing car privacy cover plastic attachment

Hi All.

We have a privacy boot cover with a plastic attachment that has snapped off. Which is the best glue to reattach the plastic to the end of the privacy cover. 

I have tried super glue and Glue Dots Advanced Strength sheets but it snaps again because it needs to withstand the tension.

Any recommendations?

Replacing this cover from Ford is about 250$. Prefer to avoid this cost.

20200707_111750.jpg

20200707_111821.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing Car Privacy Cover Plastic Attachment

Hi @NumeroUno,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. Did you try a superglue which was designed for plastics similar to Selleys 3ml All Plastic Fix Primer And Adhesive or Loctite 2g And 4ml 2-Part All Plastic Superglue? Both of these glues include a primer for plastics which is needed for a good bond. Though superior to normal superglue they might still struggle with your application. You would need to clean any residual super glue off of the parts before applying the new primer and glue.

Another option would be a 2-part epoxy like Selleys 35ml Araldite Super Strength Epoxy Adhesive. It is stronger than the super glue but not specifically designed for plastics. My advice would be to try the super glue with primer and if that fails move onto the Araldite.

If you had some very small drill bits you could drill a hole through the broken piece and into the privacy cover. You could cut the head off a small nail and insert it through the pieces. That would provide some rigidity so that the glue wasn't placed under so much tension.

Please let me know if you would like further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Thanks! Tried drilling with screws and its really helped with the tension. 

Yeah, glues are a tricky thing with plastics. Depending on the plastic glue can refuse to stick no matter what you use. And the tension would be negligible as well because it will always be a weaker joint. It's not like glueing wood which is often a stronger joint.

I've had issues trying to fix Little Wookie's toys. No matter how long you cure it for, it simply doesn't want bond to the type of plastic. It's probably been done on purpose so you have to buy a new toy rather than fix it.

@woodenwookie,

Have you tried Selleys 3ml All Plastics Power Grip? It is designed for plastics and includes a primer to apply before the glue. I've had more success with it than standard super glues recently. I'm happy with the results after glueing a set of headphones back together.

You are correct though that there are types of plastic which just won't glue back together.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Providing the plastic parts are of the same chemistry, I have had success using a small butane hot air torch - heating both surfaces until they're soft and gooey, pushing them together and using a metal scribe to "mix" the area and then let it cool. Basically plastic welding I guess - in a way.

Worked well on plastic car door handles, on the internal mechanism. Sometimes the end result looks ugly - but the strength is there.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects