Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build simple garage shelving?

anandarpit
Just Starting Out

How to build simple garage shelving?

Hi - I am looking for a simple shelving at my garage to declutter items which are just lying all over the place. I am very new in DIY and hence want to start with the basic melamine board shelving with 2-3 rows. Need to know what all I need and how can I make this project successful. 

Many thanks in advance.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build simple garage shelving?

Hi @anandarpit    have you had a look at this project?

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Portable-workbench-and-garage-shelving/ta-... 

It may contain many of the solutions to designing and making your storage shelves...

I tend to just buy the basic steel shelving units and stiffen them up by adding sides (and backs where needed).

(For example https://www.bunnings.com.au/montgomery-1830-x-910-x-410mm-5-tier-shelving-unit_p2760578 )

For me, chaos comes from not dividing the items up into manageable areas, so that's one of the reasons that I add sides between at least some of the shelving units, bolted side by side. Running the sides all the way to the ground (and adding right-angle plastic strips to the bottom to prevent moisture damage) also strengthens and stiffens it all up. 

But solid timber shelves tend to be even stronger and look good, so it depends on what you will be storing (and your sense of pride).

TedBear.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build simple garage shelving?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @anandarpit. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating garage shelving.

It's great to see the knowledgeable @TedBear has already offered advice on your project.

Is it a brick wall you'll be fixing the shelving into? If so, then it will be a relatively easy task with a hammer drill, twisted stay bracketsSTAHL Masonry Kit 8mm and melamine shelving. You might like to share an image of the area, so our members can better understand what you're working with.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a shelf. It showcases a shelf's installation on a timber stud wall and covers most of the basic principles used on a brick wall. 

For other fantastic garage storage solutions, check out our Top 10 most popular garage and shed projects and Top 10 most popular storage projects.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions which I can assist with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects