Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a 50kg boxing bag and mount off besser block wall?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

How to hang a 50kg boxing bag and mount off besser block wall?

IMG_5932.jpeg

IMG_5931.jpeg

I was wondering what the best and safest way to hang a 50kg heavy bag off a besser block wall would be. The mount itself would weigh around 15-20kg and would sit 1200mm off the wall. I’m a bit paranoid about the stress on the wall due to the weight and how far the bag hangs off the wall. I’ve attached some photos for reference. Any advice on what I should do or use is greatly appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a 50kg boxing bag and mount off besser block wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Former Workshop member. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a punching bag.

It would be best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines regarding installing their mount. Correct installation is extremely important as there are some quite high stresses applied to the wall with an extended mount. You have 70kg of weight with 50kg of it held out away from the wall. This increases the load at the mounting point. You then have the stresses of the bag being struck on top of that. So, let's say at least 150kg, considering everything. Your mount has a very small surface area; some come with an arm that drops below the unit to spread the load. That mount is something you'd see used more on a speedball or medium 35kg bag.

I have concerns with that load being installed onto one or, at max, two Bessers blocks. There is not much choice when it comes to mounting, which would be done with Dynabolts or Ankascrews. You could consider installing horizontal timber batons on the wall across several blocks and then attaching your mount to them to spread the load. Either way, I'd recommend you refer to the manufacturer's instructions or enlist the services of a professional for the installation.

You might like to check out some previous discussions on mounting boxing bags.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects