Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install garage/shed Foilboard Insulation?

Pondy
Finding My Feet

How to install garage/shed Foilboard Insulation?

IMG_8433.JPGIMG_8429.JPG😁

Good afternoon

I have a Titan steel frame build garage; I would like to retro fit insulation and then gyprock plasterboard to the steel walls.

After some research I have chosen to use foil board 2400mm x 1200mm x 25mm.

As the gyprock boards are 1.2mm wide I will be fitting additional 75mm X 30mm X 0.9mm Gal Steel standard profile to pick up the gyprock butts.

My question is what is the best way to fit the foil board to the steel wall?

My research has shown that some professional’s recommend foilbaord spacers between the steel wall and the foil board for an air cushion, while other professionals have said it is not required.

If I go down the road of fitting spacers and then the foil board what is the best method of fitting the spacers and boards. I do not want to screw fasteners from the inside to the outside, as this would leave screw points sticking out

Thank you

Pondy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage/shed Foilboard Insulation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pondy. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a shed.

Following the manufacturer's guidelines for installing their product would be best. If you were looking at our Foilboard 25 x 2400 x 1200mm Cathedral 25 Insulation, here's the installation guide. It specifies that spacer blocks must be used to improve the insulating qualities of the foam board. Having an air gap significantly enhances the performance and inhibits heat transfer through the structure. The spacers can be glued to your walls with Sikaflex 11FC. The Foilboard is then cut to size and wedged between your wall girts. If you weren't plastering over, they could be held in position with Foilboard Ultra Steel Insulation Screws. However, since you're plastering, you might like to run string lines to hold the board in position before plastering over them.

For our New Zealand members, please note that the use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pondy
Finding My Feet

Re: How to install garage/shed Foilboard Insulation?

Thank you for your time in responding to my inquiry. I have drawn a quick diagram to outline my plans for my garage wall.

I like your idea of using high-temperature silicone to secure the foil board in place, I was also thinking of gluing in polystyrene spacers to hold the foil board in place. 

May I know your thoughts on my cunning plan?

Pondy

IMG_8473.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks perfect @Pondy, and is much like what I had in mind. I love your use of spacer blocks inside the channel to hold the foilboard in position. 

You're definitely on the right track. 👍

Mitchell

denk
Getting Established

I also have a titan shed about to insulate. Would love to see your before/after photos if you took any. Would be good to see how you fixed the foilboard to your ceiling. Timber battens? Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @denk 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Let me tag @Pondy to make them aware of your questions. Here is a link to the Foil Board Spacer Blocks just in case you wanted to see them. It would be interesting to see what the shed looks like with the foil board installed.

For our New Zealand members, please note that the use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects