Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install insulation in my Titan Shed walls and ceiling?

denk
Getting Established

How to install insulation in my Titan Shed walls and ceiling?

Hi everyone. 

I have a 10 year old Titan shed which is 9m x 6m in size. It gets awfully hot in QLD summers and I'm now deciding to insulate the walls and roof. I use my garage shed as a workshop for my 4x4 and also for home gym/man-cave area. So I am spending a lot of time in there. Currently it is just metal sheeting and I am asking the question regarding how to fix insulation to the metal walls and ceiling to prevent the insulation sheets coming off. String? Wire? are there particular fasteners available for this kind of retrofit? I'm looking at using either Foilboard 20 x 2400 x 1200mm Ultra 20 Insulation or Ametalin 1500mm x 20m ThermalLiner Roof and Wall Shed Insulation. I think the rigid boards might be the better option for me?

Shed 2.jpg

Any advice on fixing insulation to the walls and roof would be greatly appreciated.

Images attached of interior of my shed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install insulation in my Titan Shed walls and ceiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @denk. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question about Foilboard installation.

Foilboard 20 x 2400 x 1200mm Ultra 20 Insulation is a great choice to insulate your shed that anyone can install. I'd recommend that you invest in the 25mm board, which we can order for you. It will provide a superior insulation value during those long, hot Qld summers.

Here's the installation guide for Foilboard into an existing shed. I'll include the items you need below. There are specific screw and plate fixings to use in your installation. You'll also want to use the spacing blocks to create an air gap between the boards and your wall sheets. They drastically increase the insulation value.

These foil boards have a span of 1200mm before that need to be fixed. So if your roof beams are less than 1200mm apart, this will be a super simple installation. If they are further apart, you can install some intermediate timber or steel purlins to bridge the gap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Important note for our New Zealand readers:

The New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) issued a ban on the use of foil insulation in July 2016. The ban applies to the installation and/or repair of foil insulation in residential buildings. More information is available here: Foil insulation ban | Building Performance.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @denk,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Great to see that you have received helpful advice from Mitch, who has also noted for the benefit of all our community that the New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) issued a ban on the use of foil insulation. 

In their documentation, it is noted the risk with installing foil insulation in a building with existing electrical installation is that the person installing it could accidentally pierce a live electrical cable with the fasteners used to attach the foil, which can conduct electricity.

Take care,

Jason

denk
Getting Established

Thats great thank you for providing that advice. Could you provide the installation guide link again as it isnt working for me.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @denk

Please give this link a try Foilboard Installation Guide. If you still have any issues with it, please let us know.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your roof insulated.

Eric

denk
Getting Established

It has been a while since I made this post. I am going to order the 25mm thick boards for my garage this weekend.

My point of confusion is how I maintain the boards in position on the ceiling of my shed with the screws/plates? I dont want to drill into the colorbond roof. My beams are less than 1200mm wide so that fits with what your suggestion above is about an easy install. Advice on the screw/plates and fixing the boards in place to my already built shed as shown in my initial post photo attachment. Thanks :smile:

@MitchellMc 

denk
Getting Established

@MitchellMc Im assuming attaching some timber battens / planks intermittently and attaching the boards to those is the process but I'm not entirely sure. Your initial guidance recommended the screw plates... Thanks :smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @denk

Installing a timber batten framing makes it easier to install the board to your ceiling they also provide an air gap between your Colorbond roof and the foil board. The screw plates actually hold the board in place, the wide plastic washer prevents the board from being accidentally pulled off. Let me tag @MitchellMc just in case he has anything else to add.

Eric

Important note for our New Zealand readers:

The New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) issued a ban on the use of foil insulation in July 2016. The ban applies to the installation and/or repair of foil insulation in residential buildings. More information is available here: Foil insulation ban | Building Performance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @denk,

You can either use the Standard Fastener in the face of the steel rafters or the Flexifast Clip into the side of the beams to secure the foilboard. You'll need to use self-tapping metal screws of the correct length instead of nails. 

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Clip.pngSV500007.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects