Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a saw-table?

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

How to make a saw-table?

Hi everyone, when I need to cut long pieces of wood or boards, I find my circular saw awkward to keep straight, especially when I have to start leaning across the workpiece to get to the far side. I don't have a proper workbench, just an old Black & Decker workmate stand that I can clamp the pieces to. Now, If I could find  way to mount my circular saw under the workbench, so I could feed the work through it, I think that might be a solution. Yes, I could go and buy a table saw, but storage space is at a premium and I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost. Any thoughts would be welcome.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to make a saw-table?

What table saw to get will depend on how much you are willing to pay. 
to me the best is the one that provides the best features and usability with out building a bigger table to fit it into

ie how big a sheet can I put on it and how deep a cut can I do

most should have a 10” blade 

in the end it will be the wallet that dictate what you get

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have the Craftright guide and others, clamping is a bit fidley to get it right. Too loose it doesn't hold and too tight it can flex.

My father made his own table saw OHS would have a fit if they saw it, I still have it for now though with an upcoming move I may forget to take it with me depending on space. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Brad 

"My father made his own table saw OHS would have a fit if they saw it"

Please Brad - please show me a photo....

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @VulcanJohn 

Just returned from Bunnings with some wood. Whilst there I asked the person in charge of the tool-shop if they would be willing to remove the Makita table saw from its box for appraisal. They were more than happy to do this - provided I didn't want anything assembled. I thought that was a fair deal.

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Hi Graeme, I used to live in the UK and the penultimate Vulcan display aircraft (XL 426) was based at Southend  On Sea in Essex following her retirement from RAF front-line and display duties. For a short time I was a member of a dedicated group of volunteers, consisting of complete civvies like me and some ex-forces personnel who knew what they were doing. The group undertook the onerous task of keeping her in working condition. Despite the complexity of the aircraft she was able to do everything bar fly (CAA regs and red-tape etc) at the time when I left the UK for warmer shores! Have a look at their website "avrovulcan.com" to see what they are doing these days, plus some of the history. I have always loved the awesome shape, the sound and the majestic beauty of these aircraft. Her display successor was XH558 and she is (was?) based at Robin Hood Airport in the UK Midlands area somewhere. Their website is https://vulcantothesky.org/aircraft/vulcan-xh558. Sadly, with her frame hours timed-out and without the support of the Original Equipment Manufacturers her flying life also ended a few years ago. Many of the parts supply companies no longer exist and RR wouldn't support the engines as they had no remaining staff working/trained/alive.  It's galling to think that the American's B52 bombers are from the same era, and they are still in use today; updated, modified etc, but the same basic design. Yet we let the delta die... real shame and short-sighted in my opinion. (it's replacement could not have performed the bombing of the Falklands as it didn't have the range, they could refuel but not replenish the engine oil while airborne, ah, progress!)

John

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Sounds like a good plan. I'm free over the next couple of days so I'll have have a trip down and see if I can peek inside a box.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I will see how much useful stuff is on top of it in the morning.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

292573216_10225014106413949_3618721519929534809_n.jpg

Belt driven with a washing machine motor.

No riving knife so it stalled rather than have kickback.

Don't try this at home!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon John @VulcanJohn 

Thank you for taking the time to pen your Vulcan experience. Much appreciated.

"It's galling to think that the American's B52 bombers are from the same era"

Possibly galling also to a lot of Americans - in particular, aerospace titans like North American, Rockwell and Northrop to name a few who at times hoped to replace it. Once it was learned Gary Powers survived his descent into the USSR, combined with the Skybolt failure and when the British Navy took up Polaris - the writing was on the wall for the V-force. Still, the B-52 is an amazing anomaly - I've read it could reach 100 years of service. One thing's for sure, I won't be there to see it.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Brad 

Thank you for the photo! I can see a bit of my own father in that table-saw. A different generation.

"Don't try this at home!"

Probably safer than this...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects