Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a new garden shed from the elements?

Strath
Just Starting Out

How to seal a new garden shed from the elements?

Hi, I need to purchase a suitable new garden shed which is able to be sealed, it needs to be dust free.. 

The size of the shed would need to be aproximately 2m x 2m in size. There is a little bit of wiggle room in size. 

The purpose is to store linen and towels on open shelving, plus other various bathroom items.(I assume gyprocking is the recommendation for lining the shed? However I am open to what shed you recommend from your range that is best suited to concrete floor and with a door that is best suited. Then how and what you suggest I need to line it including sealing everything.

I cannot put dusty bed sheets on the Airbnb property that this shed will service.

Any help appreciated leading toward your correct products needed.

Thanks Strath.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a new garden shed from the elements?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Strath. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a new garden shed.

I can suggest a couple of options: the Lifetime 2.1 x 2.1 x 2.27m Desert Sand Polyethylene Plastic Garden Shed and the Build-a-Shed range. Nothing is right on the 2m x 2m mark, but plenty of configurations could be worth considering.

I understand that you want to eliminate dust from entering the shed by sealing it off; be aware that if you totally seal it up, you'd be encouraging moisture build-up and could potentially see a mould outbreak. Depending on the humidity in your area, this could be a real issue. 

Are there any other areas in the home which you could consider turning into a linen cabinet? Even as far as installing an attic ladder and creating an enclosed space within the roof cavity.

Regarding sealing your shed, you might like to read through these previous discussions:

You'll find plenty of solutions in those discussions. Once you settle on the shed you'll use, we can look at more specific advice to suit your needs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYScientist
Growing in Experience

Hi @Strath ,

I have "weather proofed" our 3x3 shed beginning of last year.

I agree with @MitchellMc that you do not want to completely seal it. I know several people who completely sealed their shed and each one of them has a mould problem. Trapped moisture, stale air, and darkness is optimal mould growth conditions.

What I did was, since it was on a concrete/brick slab, seal the bottom with gap sealer. I then went in between the metal panels where they meet the bottom metal bracket on the floor and sealed them with a gutter sealer. I used expansion foam to seal the roof on three sides. I had a look to see where rain and wind is most likely to enter of the four sides and sealed there. I intentionally left one side unsealed for ventilation so that mould and moisture cannot build up. I also used draft stopping foam adhesive to seal along the bottom of the doors as well as in between the doors. I figured it is more likely for dust and leaves to be blown in at the bottom of the door than the top. For the most part this helped; however, the adhesive strip started pealing off recently, so the durability of that is not too great. A rubber seal might work better too.

I was very worried about mould build-up but have not had that happen yet. I also have found that my shed stayed quite dust and leaf free too. Friends of mine who sealed their shed completely a month ago have noticed mould growth, so I feel this bit of ventilation is enough for my shed to stay free of mould. If you are very worried about dust, might I suggest you also invest in a few plastic containers/totes with lids. That way you can also label them easily and sort them accordingly and keep them sealed in your shed without worrying too much about dust and mould.

If the linen are kept in such sealed containers in a shed for extended periods, I might suggest also adding in a few drying gel bead packets to the container to keep moisture levels down so that mould doesn't grow.

Cheers,

Matt

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Strath

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @MitchellMc and  @DIYScientist. I'm in agreement with the suggestions made by my colleagues, is there a possibility of perhaps re-locating the storage space in another part of the house? If you have concerns that the guests will be helping themselves to new sheets you can place them under lock and key. 

I was thinking along the lines of a large pantry such as the Bedford 900mm White 2 Door Pantry. From an investment point of view, you can line these up on one side of the garage and divide them into sections, towels, sheets, duvets and pillows. The shelves inside the pantry are totally adjustable and a lock can be installed on the doors. 

For long-term storage of linen, I always recommend putting in a tub of DampRid 300g Refillable Moisture Absorber. It works by a natural process to automatically absorb moisture and humidity but never over-dry the air inside a wardrobe cabinet. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects