Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mitre saw or Table saw?

BandofSaws
Getting Established

Mitre saw or Table saw?

Hi all,

Would appreciate your assistance in my next tool decision. I find myself struggling to get accurate cuts on bigger panels of timber with my circular saw and was considering whether i get a bigger tool to help find some consistency. 

For reference i often buy the big timber panels from Bunnings (often 2m x 1m in size) and then cut them down to size for whatever project i have.

Mitre Saws and Tables saws seemed the logical choice but im open to other suggestions also. Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mitre saw or Table saw?

Hello @BandofSaws

Based on your statement about using large panels, I think you should go for the table saw. Table saws are great at cutting large panel pieces accurately. However, mitre saws or drop saws are geared more towards square or rectangular pieces of timber. They can do deep cuts on large timber pieces that table saws cant do.

If you find that the majority of your project involves cutting large timber panels, it would be practical to get a saw that will help you do this with a minimum amount of waste. Just keep in mind that table saws will require a bit of space and you'll need a table system to mount and catch the cut panels.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - First table saw by @Mikeyhz

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects