Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice - Wet Dry Vacuums VS Dust Extractors

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Need advice - Wet Dry Vacuums VS Dust Extractors

Hey Everyone - hoping I could get some advice on which would be best suited (also cost friendly) for cleaning up and also decreasing the amount of dust accumulating in my garage? 

I always wear safety glasses, a good mask and keep garage door open. I sweep, dust or wipe down areas after I finish(majority of the time) but now that I am doing a lot more woodwork, the build up of dust is a little overwhelming. I even built a mobile saw table with a semi dust collector box to help limit the exposure.

I looked into buying a wet/dry workshop vac but after doing some research I worry that it wouldn’t be sufficient enough but as this is a hobbie I can’t justify spending a large amount on the powerful dust extractors. If there was a happy medium you can suggest I would be very greatful ☺️

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need advice - Wet Dry Vacuums VS Dust Extractors

Hi @Tara86,

Good topic! Let me tag some of our keen woodworkers in the community for you.

Jason

@Wayne

@She_Skills

@AndrewJones

@Brad

@Yorky88

@woodalwaysworks

@LePallet

@r23on

@gwizard

@Poppop

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

There are many governing factors that come into play here none more so as to what sort of machines you want to collect from (both now and in a future perspective)
Commonly a dust extractor has a 100mm (4" inlet) where as a shop vac will be 50mm to 63.5mm (2" or 2 1/2"), a Table Saw could use either but if you intend down the track to get a Planer/Thicknesser then a Dust Extractor will be required as a Shop Vac wont have the capacity to pull the chips away.
If you are working a lot with MDF then the dust is very fine and will clog a Shop Vac filter very quickly but you could add a "Dust Deputy" Cyclone bucket which will catch 90% or more of the dust before getting to the Shop Vac.
Dust Deputy.jpg
This would be my recommendation if you are trying to get away on a budget.

Regards Wayne

Wood Working with Wayne
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

20729481_10212161548148025_2057371136874550894_n.jpg20729399_10212161547948020_6762315297998361216_n.jpg20767804_10212161548468033_6678966514939317084_n.jpgcordless-dust-extractor-cordless-wetdry-dust-extractor-gas-18v-10-l-professional-143842-143842.png

For most things I have https://www.bigw.com.au/product/contempo-bagless-vacuum-cleaner/p/8389359/ and https://www.carbatec.com.au/triton-dust-collector as it has 2 inlets for when I use the Kreg router table, the connection to the table is not an artisic thing but it sort of works and for everything else so far there is https://www.carbatec.com.au/rockler-small-port-dust-right-starter-kit.

I got the Bosch for when there is no power handy, not because I got the t-shirt and free battery... needs wheels though.

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Wow thanks @Jason@Brad and @Wayne. That is really helpful information!! It would mainly be for my table saw which I use mostly for hardwood but I do also use MDF. Which i use my jigsaw or multi tool depending on thickness. So creates a lot of debris.

Appreciate the pics too that helps me understand your set ups and explanations. Will start looking around but at least I’ve got an idea on what I need plus additional accessories as well.

I originally thought you buy a vac hook it up to your tool and it’s all done regardless of what material your working with but so glad I asked now. Thanks again for your advice!

Prof
Becoming a Leader

You don't need anything as expensive as those vacs to just suck up some saw dust..
Something like this will do the job fine...

kel
Making a Splash

hi @Tara86

recently,i have been doing a lot of work with mdf,and as a result the very fine dust has destroyed another shopvac,i think wayne's suggestion is the most economical solution.i have just purchased the ryobi 30L shopvac from bunnings @ $179,on sunday to replace the old shopvac,and i have found it to not only be nice and powerful but also has a couple of features to help with stopping the fine dust from clogging the filter.firstly it has a vac bag to collect the debri and secondly there is a second material bag to enclose the filter.and as an added bonus,a 4 year replacement warrenty.

that all said,i will be looking at rigging up a system like wayne has mention.you can get a lot of ideas of how to diy a system from youtube and if you find a traffic cone,then your one step closer to building your system.

cheers kel

vickiec
Growing in Experience

Hi. I use to use just a normal vacum cleaner. I've ordered a cyclone dust extractor that eliminates 90% of saw dust and shavings into a drum instead of the vacum. Should save heaps on filters. When I got it set up I'll post a pic.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lots of great advice in this discussion. Thanks for your input everyone!

@Tara86, have you decided which way to go as yet?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jason sorry haven’t had the chance to respond lately. Really do appreciate everyone’s advice. @kel that sounds fantastic and pretty much the idea I had in my head including a system down the track I can hook up too. I am going to go check it out and it’s accessories this weekend. I found 1 YouTube clip of a gent with his own diy system and it was fantastic. Opened my eyes to the dangers with sawdust too.

Unfortunately as we only have the garage to do any work it’s not just minor amounts of mdf/saw dust otherwise I’d use my sml vac or just sweep it up. We are also in the process of landscaping - multiple retaining walls, timber steps and more decking. Plus concrete, tile debris which we sweep up but still leaves a lot of dust. Thanks again 👍🏼

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects