Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New shed storage project

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

New shed storage project

Hi everyone - as my love and interest in DIY continues to grow I found I needed an adequate area to accommodate this. I needed decent storage and a portable workbench that would be suitable for my drop saw but found it hard to find anything that ticked all the boxes. 

So I tried my best at creating my own. This way I could measure it to fit in my garage and keep my car in the garage at night. 

I’ve uploaded some pics but interested to know if there’s anything else I should add or any helpful tips. FYI - my workbench now has lockable castor wheels so it’s portable. 

Thanks!69907954-B4B3-49A0-821A-E1D9D06635FB.jpeg1635757C-AD3C-4F3A-95E6-E3C07D02ADCB.jpeg661E2DE4-C0C0-40F9-B0C4-2FB05E6B3E01.jpeg4116D166-DDDB-43D8-AB85-F944252688DC.jpeg4AD76520-C83D-4DC6-8428-651824B2F3ED.jpegF87356E8-ABBB-4E03-BDD2-373ED29ADF0E.jpegA6C0E4A5-79AC-4C5E-AE1E-B1F1A61A23F9.jpeg409F79CB-6800-438F-8899-38C9B4D6E4D1.jpeg8A69E1E4-38E9-4F76-A8B7-FF7F50AEAB92.jpeg

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Re: Current reno of my she-shed!

@Gaz sorry for the delayed response have been away last couple of weeks.

I’d like to pass on my condolences to you and your family. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I really appreciate you taking the time to add the photos and measurements. Thank you so much. Definitely made it a lot easier for me to understand how you created the stability - can’t wait to give it a go!! 

Thanks again 😊

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Re: New shed storage project

@Tara86  Have to say love the work you have been doing on shed storage.  Would also like to see how you went about your lockable castor wheels, as this is something I am about to attempt on my latest work bench that I am making for multiple tools.

Keep up your great work, you are an inspiration to many...   :smile:

Shelby
Cultivating a Following

@Rolando I'm such a sucker for plastic tubs too! Though I have black ones and write with paint pen on the outside! 

Shelby
Cultivating a Following

@Jason I LOVE these shelves, I've got 5 in the shed and 3 out in the storage room of the office! They're just the best!! Though I prefer black tubs haha... 

I’d love to have same as you but the drawback of not seeing through trumps the better look.

We have some labels but I like your idea, I might stick white contact and write on that.

Ciao

If you don't mind me asking what kind of wheels did you use on your movable benches, please? I'm looking for something that I can lock in place as the fellows who did the concrete floor in my shed left a bit to be desired.

Thank you in advance.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

In the trade off of price/performance I use these.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-100mm-blue-rubber-castor-set-4-pack_p3940356

I do like the all swivel braked castors on my router table, have to thread them into the legs and they are $90 a set...

https://www.carbatec.com.au/routing-and-shaping/router-tables/kreg-3-dual-locking-caster-set-4

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Old-gal24  My apologies for not responding earlier. Our builder went into liquidation and so dealing with VMIA regarding structural defects, failed waterproofing, damage etc. 

The castors I used are from Bunnings. Swivel, non marking black rubber wheels. Lockable and either 70 - 100kg load bearing. They were the cheaper ones was on a budget so I think $40 all up. My workbench has copped a lot, additional weight from stored wood, mitre saw etc. Our garage floor is effected by the defects and quite damaged with deep, thick cracks and hundreds of chips/mini pot holes. After 2 1/2 years they still work perfectly. When looking at castors make sure they are suitable for concrete, industrial areas and for weight bearing best to cover for heavier loads. 

Best of luck with your projects!! It doesn’t matter the hurdles or setbacks you encounter during the task because It’s the best feeling when you finish a project!!

jj79au
Getting Established

Might I suggest, on your portable table for your dropsaw, you add some kind of slimline box to the side for storage of spare dropsaw blades, not only will they be close and handy if/when required, it will save them sitting around any odd where, and could save someone getting hurt if the blade tips cannot be brushed against, or possibly other items you may require when using the dropsaw, perhaps an area for clamps, or pencils, just a suggestion 👍

P.S - perhaps a under draw? under the table top add a slimline draw on runners maybe?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/goliath-slimline-drawer-slide-pair_p0043591

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=drawer&redirectFrom=Any

or seeing as you are crafty already, try make your own https://www.bunnings.com.au/bc-plywood-900-x-600-x-7mm-project-panel_p0390152 then add drawer slides from first link?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @jj79au. I'm sure @Tara86 really appreciates the suggestions.

It sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to share with the community. We are looking forward to reading of your posts soon. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects