Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Table saw tool trolley and crosscut sled

RainbowDiY
Building a Reputation

Table saw tool trolley and crosscut sled

IMG_4671.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_4669.jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

Building out my rolling workshop and it’s my table saws turn. This saw is so heavy, I really struggled moving it in and out of my tiny tool shed. I didn’t want to just buy a stand because a) I needed this to be multifunctional and hold my other power tools and b) I also wanted to practice some skills and what a good bit of furniture to practice on. So it has space for 4 Macpac boxes and a shelf and cubby to hold push sticks and feather boards and blades.

I made it out of 17mm for ply as it was on special and it’s easy to clean and more durable outside. It has a centre board that’s attached to the top and bottom and sides using pocket holes. Then divider pieces are attached to to the centre piece and top and bottom on both sides to form the cubbies.

I put heavy duty castors on the bottom as the saw and boxes are heavy. They are lockable as well which is a must to use the tool safely.

I made the top by laminating two Okumu panels I had and then cutting out the square. 

I went with the Macpac system as it’s much more affordable than other systems and is a great compact size with nobly bits on the outside which make it easy to slide in and out. I based the size of the cubbies on the size of the Mac pac boxes. I put the openings on the sides of the saw vs the front or back to limit dust getting in and I put the saw on little block feet so I can blow out the dust from underneath the saw easily.

This cart is fantastic and I am so pleased with it. It holds so much and now my tools are easily accessible and organised.

The table saw sled is based on one I saw on YouTube ( see link below) . I made it using off its from my cart. I purchased a UJK stop track set and some t track and hold down clamps. This set its metric and fantastic quality. I prefer this set to the one by Kreg for those reasons. Plus I think the orange and black looked cool! I had a real problem getting slides for the mitre slots for this saw - Bosch. The mitre slot is 16.8 mm at the top and 19mm at the bottom and kind of looks like the profile of t track. I sanded and planed a couple of pieces of hardwood to fit but there was still too much wobble. I found a bloke on Etsy who 3D printed a sled of slides and I got a set from him and I must say that has made a massive difference to the operation of the sled. So if you have a Bosch table saw don’t believe anything you read on Amazon - it won’t fit….. trust me!

I love this sled and love working with it. I am looking forward to making a few jigs for this sled in the future. 

table saw sled inspo video I based mine on:

https://youtu.be/VKzDspj3t9g

Materials

cart
17mm Formply

Okumu panels x2 laminated (Top)

Heavy duty lockable castors

64x19 pine off cuts for “feet” for the table saw to raise it up to allow for cleaning underneath.

4 bolts to bolt saw to the cart

screws and glue

Sled

Form ply 17 ml.

front and back fence have two strips of form ply laminated together to give you a place to attach the T track and provide stability at both ends.

UJK T track and hold down clamps

UJK Stop track set. https://www.axminstertools.com/global/ujk-technology-track-stop-kit-101500?glCountry=AU&glCurrency=A...https://www.axminstertools.com/global/ujk-technology-track-stop-kit-101500?glCountry=AU&glCurrency=A... 

off cut block at back to remind you where your blade is.

Tools

Table Saw or Circular saw with straight edge

Drill and Driver

Measuring and Marking equipment 

Safety equipment 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Table saw tool trolley and crosscut sled

Good Morning @RainbowDiY 

:smile: Another well thought out idea! So how many of these do you have? You really have me considering doing something along the same lines. I make so many trips back and fourth lugging tools and saws its not funny. You have inspired me to give it a go, at the moment my tools are stored in my laundry and its chockers!

Love how stable that surface looks and the height :smile: Did you meausure it against your height or took a standard height for the total?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Table saw tool trolley and crosscut sled

What a great solution, @RainbowDiY! There's nothing better than making good tools even easier to use. I trust the thought you've put into the design will make this a handy trolley that will see years of service.

Many thanks for sharing your project with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects