Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vacuum suitable for garage debris?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Vacuum suitable for garage debris?

Hi Guys -

I’m looking for a vacuum to clean up debris on the garage? I do sweep but it’s just not enough. I don’t have a backyard so a leaf blower isn’t necessary but is it best to purchase one and use the vacuum option? Or is that for leaves only?

thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garage Vacuum

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Typically, a bucket vacuum would the most appropriate machine to clean up debris in a garage or workshop. They are more powerful than a standard vacuum, have a large storage bucket or can be used with bags, and are more robust. They deal easily with chunkier material and sharp debris, and some have a wet function for sucking up spills.

Generally, leaf blowers/vacs are best used for leaves. They don't run the same type of dust filter as a normal vacuum cleaner. Although you will pick up debris with one in the garage, you'll find dust won't be captured all that efficiently.

Let me mention a few of our helpful members @redracer01, @TedBear, @r23on, @woodenwookie, @prettyliving, @diy_hausdesigns, @JoeAzza and @DIYgals, to see what they use around their garage and workshop.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Over the years I have had a number of vacs. to date the best by fare is a wet and dry and I have given up on bags. however I have included a cyclone adaption to collect all heavy components into a seperate drum with minimal dust being collected in the main vac. The cyclone attachment is easy to build and easy to empty. the attachment cost around $35 to $45. if I need to clean up wet material conversion back to a standard vac is simple just disconnect hoses Places such as timbecon and carbatec supply them and do course ebay. 

example:-

https://www.amazon.com.au/Cyclone-Collector-Collection-Separator-Accessories/dp/B07XL8X3DG 

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Hi -

thanks for that. The garage is mainly used for storage so I don’t know exactly what I was after to be honest. Mainly dust and a some debris. I have removed most with a sweep but I thought a good vacuum would help 

@MitchellMc hi, thanks for that. I will have a look at these. 
the garage is for storage  only and I’ve cleaned most with a sweep but I thought any little debris I missed could be cleaned with a vacuum.

Funny, I was just praising my Ryobi drum vacc yesterday. It is cheap enough to not be precious about having in a workshop. It sucks much more powerfully and for longer than our expensive, indoor D. son. It also blows, which is fantastic for getting dust out from behind and under equipment, as well as "sweeping" the floor, getting dirt from the crevices, which a broom can't do. There is no worries if there is moisture amongst the dirt. It also cleans the dog hair from my car seats much more effectively than the other Pet designed one.  Does it stop sucking as it fills?...  who knows, it has never filled, but I empty it once a month whether it needs it or not.  And all the accessories store on the machine.   One of my best buys.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Newgreenthumb  @MitchellMc 

I am using a small wet/vac Ozito vacuum cleaner with a cyclonic type collection bucket, this is used so the small vacuum cleaner doesn’t get filled up too quickly, I use it for all my dust collection on machinery, for cleaning the floor, I just use a broom at the end of the day.

The Ozito wet dry vac will vacuum the floor also.

290D6DAC-DD44-413E-9D2A-94F52A9E8E9D.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @r23on, any chance of a photo and details of your home-built cyclone attachment please?

I have been meaning to make such a thing to save the machine's filters some work, but there is no use in "reinventing" when a design already exists.

thanks,

TedBear.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi then in your case I would possibility look at either shop vac or karcher both are very good machines. the one i have is the karcher m5/m6 and last for ever

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi thanks for the contact. I can not supply a photo just yet as I am in Darwin and will not return to Vic anytime soon. These systems are easy to make and the drum size and length is up to you. As shown in the photo from JoeAzza, (nice little setup by the way) my setup is a mobile and moves with the vac on a base with casters.

The drum is a 20Lt with a removable lid. The lid is held in place by a quick release metal band. The following link may help with an idea of what to make

https://www.wish.com/product/5de4bee41a10e2ca0795f033?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_d... 

hope this helps

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects