Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What cut list software do you recommend?

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

What cut list software do you recommend?

Good afternoon Everyone!

Can anyone recommend free cut list software? I have checked out a few on the web and have been left wanting.

This request relates to a project I am doing which is 3 frames for our small vege garden patch over which I will install shade cloth to keep the birds out. I plan to use untreated pine 2400mm X 70mm.

Regards and stay safe, Chris

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cut list software

Hi Chris (@BigFella1956), 

I haven't personally ever used cut list software, I'm more of a work it out on a piece of paper type person. I would imagine in order for our members to provide some suitable software options they might need to know what you are looking for in the software and what left the others wanting.

Let me mention some keen woodworkers @woodenwookie, @WoodenGregsWood, @r23on and @woodalwaysworks, to see if they have some suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi BigFella

Have you decided on the table saw yet?

Cut list software like Mitchell I do all by drawings first then generate the list of materials from that and go like this a materials for me and some for Murphy (Murphys Law) In Most case I use a spread sheet to track what I need. I have looked at the the following and played with 

http://workshop-buddy.com 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAJ9p9y4LRM These may suite

Mitchell, Thanks for your advice. I have attached a copy of the design I'm referring to.

The image on the left is the frame to go over the vege garden and the image on the right is the top and face of the opening. The top will be hinged to the rear of the frame and the face will be hinged to the front of the top. As the top opens, the face will fold back into the top to allow access to the vegetables themselves.

The different colours mean components of the same size. 

There are some 25 individual components of varying lengths and width so I want to be able to use a cut list to tell me how many lengths to buy.

I am using 2400 x 70 x 35mm MGP10 UT Pine Timber Framing - Linear Metre from Bunnings.

Let me know if you need more detail.

Regards, ChrisFrame - Veg Garden - 1300.png

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

G'day r23on, great to hear from you.

Yes, I have my table saw thanks. As fate would have it, I asked a bloke at work if he knew anything about table saws on which he thought for about for a bit and then remembered that his father had purchased one some years ago and was still in the box. Long story, short, it ended up being a Workzone (Aldi) table saw which I got for $50 (plus a brand new 40 litre air compressor for another 50). The saw is not what I'd like, however, beggars can't be choosers and it will help me do a lot of learning. I have, however, even made my first ever box! :smile: Anyway, it will do until I become more proficient and need more bells and whistles. Hope you are well and safe. Regards, Chris

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Chris

Great to hear you are on your way

Were either of the cut list sites of any use to you

Finally was able to get out into the shed and do some turning and have tried my hand at a Chinese lied box and inside outside turning

insideoutside.jpg

image.png

  

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

G'day r23on, wow, you certainly have some impressive skills there. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall and watch you do your thing. I also love the contrast between the light and dark material - what timber did you use? And now to show my naivety - what is a Chinese lied box? Please show me the final product. Thank you for sharing - I do appreciate it! As for the software, I'm in the process of checking them out to see if they work for me. Thanks also for the links. Take care and spend as much time as you can in that shed of yours. :smile: Regards, Chris

r23on
Amassing an Audience

HI Chris

Thanks for the reply

A Chinese lidded box is a pice of material with a hollow turned in side, the lid turned with a shape representing a Chines form The box has a 3 deg angle cut on all sides and the material is some type of rain frost tree I picked it up in Darwin last year. The other unit is Ash and the brown is a 50mm square garden stake I picked up at Bunnings. there is some good materials in the garden section for many project. I check there first before going to the timber rack

What package are you using for your drawings?

Cheers Keep safe 

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

G'day r23on, Thanks for the info about your project and the garden section at Bunnings. I will look more closely next time.

For my drawings, I am using Sketchup Make 2017 (it's the free version you can download onto your computer - there is also a web-based version).

Go to: https://sketchup-make-2017-64-bit.apponic.com/#:~:text=SketchUp%20Make%202017%20(64%2Dbit)%20is%20a%....

I've just started using it and am self-learning. Sketchup has great resources as does good ol' YouTube.

Take care. Chris

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info on Sketchup. Not a fan of it myself. I Use Autodesk Fusion 360 and its free for the hobbyist and students. I can do:-

3D design, model and 3D print 

Design and model a part ( make my own tooling where possible)

Electronics design

From the Cad side do Cam set up and create the G code

Sheet metal lay out and model All at on cost. For the hobbyist once a year the hobbyist has to provide info that they are hobbyist.

Best of all its easy to learn with plenty of free tuts on how to 

Here is a link if you are interested

https://www.autodesk.com.au/products/fusion-360/personal 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6OUkn2Cksg&t=1s  This is just a quick look at how easy it is

Keep safe

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects