Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best MIG/TIG welding device for a beginner?

Denbuilt
Getting Established

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best MIG/TIG welding device for a beginner?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Denbuilt. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting a welder.

You'd either be looking at the Full Boar Multi 180 Inverter Welder or the Bossweld MST185 Plus 180A MIG Stick and TIG Inverter Welder as they are capable of stick, MIG and TIG welding. Either of those two would be perfect for someone starting out in welding.

Here's a helpful guide: How to choose a welder. Also, you might like to check out this discussion on What welder for inexperienced hands? 

Let me mention @r23on for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Denbuilt 

first of all you either know how to mig / tig/ arc weld or you do not most machines today come as a mig/arc and come set up as as gasless. gasless setup is a waist of space unless you are working in a very windy area and you really need to know what you are doing the next issue is how much are you prepared to pay and what do you want to weld ie steel, stainless, aluminium. 

So with the above in mind what is the best machine to buy?

even though can weld all of the above with a DC welder. A DC weld is not the best choice  for aluminium or stainless. Having learned the headway buying a welders to suite the task.

My best suggestion is to buy a welder that provides you with AC and DC - Mig -Tig -Arc functions, the brand I i use UniMig not the top of the brands but provides a full range of products and and consumables plus you can use third party products. 

With Mig you need to be able to use a range of wire sizes and to be able to interchange feed rollers to suite the wire sizes 

a must is a welder that can use gas as you grow with knowledge you want to branch out with aluminium or stainless then Tig is the next level.

The less you pay the more limits you will have 

which brand - the one for the best price with the most usage ie Mig Tig Arc with gas input or a welder which has AC / DC functions

Sydney Tool total tools as well have a huge range of welders at good prices 

all i can say is do not limit you welding experience and as for beginners welder, your welding knowledge will determine what you buy.

All in all a welder that gives you the best functions

All those who are full time welders will tell you the same thing  Multifunction welders 

hope this helps

Denbuilt
Getting Established

Thanks. Very helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects