Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What size battens for double brick in garage?

mossy_74
Getting Established

What size battens for double brick in garage?

20231127_103703.jpgHi, im looking at lining my brick wall in my garage with plasterboard. As it will have services for plumbing and electricity I'll need to batten it out. After looking online it looks like most people use 50x50 battens but I can't find them, are 90x45 studs the next best?

Thanks

mossy_74
Getting Established

Re: What size battens for double brick in garage?

Just another quick one guys, since I'm screwing battens direct to the wall now and not building a stud wall frame im guessing I really only need to put up battens and noggins and no top and bottom plate? Also screwing the battens to the wall just 7 or 8mm plugs and screws?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-8-x-50mm-blue-wall-plugs-blue-25-pack_p2260643

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @mossy_74 

Ummmmmm Id still wantto put in a top plate and bottom plate. Bottom for the skirting board and also to provide strength to the distance between battens and the top for the same type of deal with cornice. 

I used these guys ramset 7.5 x 100mm galvanised masonry anchor screw 50 box and I had never heard of tem before, I had used the old ramset style expanding base for years and the rawl plug you have shown. These worked like a dream into the brick. Incredibly solid and didnt shift a bit. 

So think of the depth of timber you are going to use and then add 40mm for it into the brickwork would be a good way of thinking. You can always lay your battens flat instead of standing off Like I did. that way you gain an extra 30mm each side of the room maybe :smile: (And believe me I did consider the same)

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Some great advice from @Dave-1 there, @mossy_74, and much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Sounds like the Ramset 7.5 x 100mm galvanised masonry anchor screws worked a treat for Dave, so I'd consider using those. Alternatively, the wall plugs should work too.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects