Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What wood lathe would you recommend for a beginner?

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

What wood lathe would you recommend for a beginner?

Good afternoon Everyone, I am relatively new to wood working and am acquiring macjines and tools as I progress and 

I am at the stage now where I'd like to buy a wood lathe. As to application, I will be turning blanks into either bowls or into rounded pieces of timber that I can then carve into whatever takes my fancy at the time. I am not all that interested in maching longer pieces of timber, at least not right now. As for bowl diameter, I am looking at anywhere up to between 300 and 450 mm.

I don't want to start out cheap because that's wasting money in my opinion yet I can't afford the top of the line. My budget is around $1,000. If possible, I would prefer electronic controls.

If anyone has any recommendations, they would be much appreciated.

Regards, Chris

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: What wood lathe would you recommend for a beginner?

Hi Chris

I am not a fan of Carbatec branded product this lathes looks to be a copy of what I have. I have just looked this one https://www.carbatec.com.au/laguna-revo-12-16-midi-lathe It gives better usability range a 30 x 3.5 spindle thread so most chucks will fit with out insert adapters and not much price difference. If you can get into Carbatec and have a look and hands on it would be better. Can I ask what part of Vic are you living in. We use a range of Laguna machines at the mens shed and they seem to be standing up to abuse quite well. to top it off Laguna have replacement parts when need.

Just looked at a video of the laguna I would look at it over the Carbatec brand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRZUGREznws 

Suggest you buy your turning tools from Timberbits better priced But if you have the funds consider Vicmarc VL 150 full support and back up.

Hope this helps

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @BigFella1956 

"I don't want to start out cheap because that's wasting money in my opinion"

My experience (early 90's) - was to buy a very cheap wood lathe - just to see if I liked wood-turning.

'Turns' out I didn't. Made a few toys then completely lost interest - but a minimal outlay.

Would if useful to try it out - at say a Men's Shed first - just to see if you like it before buying?

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Graeme.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Chris he does have a point and then on the other side of the coin if you buy cheap and decide it’s not for you and go to sell you have a boat anchor if no one buys it 

i did go to the local wood turning group first and like you i asked questions first i did not hold back on the tools though as we were required to have our tooling

hence that’s why i bought a known brand and was able to sell when up graded

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Thank you. Sage advice!

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Yes, he does. I'm a member of Albury Wodonga Woodcrafters and have been making enquiries. I've had a look at the Laguna models on line and researching them and they seem pretty sturdy. Regards.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Chris

Best of luck with your choice enjoy which ever way you go

Ron

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects