Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to find free pallets?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Where to find free pallets?

Pallet.pngMost Bunnings stores will happily provide you with free pallets whenever they are available. Just speak to one of the helpful team members in the Timber Yard at your local store and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

To avoid disappointment, we always recommend to give the store a call before visiting to ensure they have supply. 

Pallets come in a variety of shapes and sizes. 

Clever and creative Bunnings Workshop members have used recycled pallet timber in a wide variety of different projects. For ideas and inspiration, check out our Top 10 most popular pallet projects

Our How-to section also includes several pallet projects with full step-by-step instructions, Guides include:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Terry1231
Finding My Feet

Looking for free pallet

Hi,

I am from North Rocks NSW and would like to know any Bunning stores have free pallet for pick up. I had called the one at Northmead, Rydalmere and Greenacre, unfortunately they told me that normally they don't have any. Please help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for free pallet

Hello @Terry1231 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

I've called around the other stores in the area and I'm afraid the only store that has any to give away at the moment is Bunnings Ashfield. The team at the store have mentioned that they are usually stacked outside ready for pick up. Please note that these pallets are on a first come first serve basis and can't held or reserved.

It sounds like you've got a project in mind, please make sure to post an update on what you're planning to build. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you're creating.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Re: Looking for free pallet

Thanks @EricL , I am planning to build a small greenhouse to grow some beans in my garden. 

Ouraida
Finding My Feet

looking for free pallets

Hello,

I'm looking for free pallets. I'm planning to make a bed frame (king size).

I live in Campbelltown, should I give a call to my local store?

If you have any suggestions or tips for my project I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Ouraida

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: looking for free pallets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ouraida. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about acquiring free pallets.

Plenty of our members have had success picking up pallets from their local Bunnings store, so I'd suggest that would be a great place to start. If you have a chat with a team member at your local store, they'll likely be able to tell you when they most often have surplus pallets.

We are keen to assist with your project, so if you have any questions please let us know.

Mitchell

Re: looking for free pallets

Awesome! Thanks @MitchellMc for your reply.

Jamespeter100
Making a Splash

Can we still collect used pallets st Bunnings?.

2375FE20-491C-4D9A-9F5C-34C37B0C8CE8.jpeg

 I visited the modbury Bunnings, for pallet wood. Not allowed anymore the word. Has the collection of pallets been stopped at the back of all Bunnings?

8F3E82A8-6508-4D81-A8A8-AD0031B59933.jpeg

the slats of the pallet wood are just right. On the sheep? I had it at $50, I had to take it home.   The wheelbarrow thst took two days to make, and paint went for $60x if the was going to be made from mdf board, it would use two of 1200 by 450, so straight away $42. 
is thete a suggestion of another wood for outdoor situations.   Marine  ply would be great, but the cost would be up.  With the paints. Screws, paint, busted drill bits to replace, the tools when they fail, Bunnings are making money also. Lucky the site was on a trial to see if it works, with the money donated to the charity. The other way, is the cost of materials, being reimbursed by the charity. Wonder what other people do at charity events when asked to make things and sell them at a fair for a charity. I thought I could retire and sell these sorts of things to help retirement. 

Re: Can we still collect used pallets st bunnkngs.

Hi @Jamespeter100,

I've made contact with the team at Bunnings Modbury, and nothing appears to have changed regarding pallet collection by customers. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, and they thought you meant the supplier-owned pallets and not the disposable pine pallets.

Next time you are in the store, have a chat with Trish in the builder's hardware section. She's more than happy for you to continue collecting pallets and creating your wonderful projects.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Eclipse
Just Starting Out

Are the free pallets at bunnings hardwood or pine?

Are the free pallets at Bunnings hardwood or pine? 

recently I've been building different types of furniture and cutting boards from an old fence. and I was wondering what type of wood the pallets are at Bunnings.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are the free pallets at bunnings hardwood or pine?

Hi @Eclipse 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about wooden pallets.

I would estimate that the majority of pallets coming to the store are made of pine. However, there is always the possibility that some of the pallets are made of hardwood. You'll need to have sharp eyes to pick them out. One way to tell them apart is by their weight, the pine pallets are always very light, and the hardwoods are much heavier. Just remember to pick only the "HT" or heat-treated pallets and not the chemically preserved ones.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects