Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workbench, shed and powertool storage ideas

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Workbench, shed and powertool storage ideas

Hi all,

I have a bit of a conundrum and am running out of space in my current workshop DIY area.

I believe I can use the space a bit more efficiently but am needing inspiration.

Would anyone be kind enough to share photos of their personal DIY/fabrication/making space?

This includes power tool storage, hand tool storage, workbenches, wood/metal storage

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Workbench, shed and powertool storage ideas

Hi @J_Smart,

Let me kick off the discussion for you as there's loads of inspiration here on Bunnings Workshop to get you started. Our members are incredibly clever and creative. 

Check out our new Featured Projects section and filter by Organising and Garage and Shed.  

Also please have a look at our Top 10 most popular Garage and Shed projects and our Top 10 most popular storage projects

You can also search by terms such as workbench to see all the amazing workbench projects that members have shared. 

Once you've armed with more of an idea on next steps, feel free to share details of how much room you have to work with and what your requirements and plans are. We'll be happy to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

Thanks for that. I read through all of the different projects. They all are great.

Attached are the photos of my current workspace. The area behind the camera is a shared area that I can temporarily move workbenches into during projects but do cannot store things in.

My goals are:

- Make the 3 bikes hang on a cart on wheels

- Space for a table saw somewhere (need to put some stuff under the house and use space more efficiently)

- Small bench to use with clamps for metalwork (so I don't wreck a nice wood one)

- Large bench for woodworking, maybe with t-tracks that wheels over the tool carts

- Maybe an overhead cabinet

- Do I keep the large long shelf or do I shorten it? Do I put it on wheels?

- Clamp rack (frees up tool drawers)
- Drill storage rack

- French cleat system?

Would anyone have some inspiration they would care to share?

IMG_7815.JPGIMG_7816.JPGIMG_7817.JPGIMG_7818.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @J_Smart

Would it be possible for you to post the measurements of your garage? This will allow us to make a comprehensive suggestion on how to use your space effectively. What model of table saw do you have? How much space would you allocate for metalwork? What are the dimensions of the blue tool trolleys? How big are the white and grey trolleys? Please keep us updated.

We look forward to getting the measurements.

Eric

zool3
Cultivating a Following

I'm in the process of planning the same thing since I have just moved to a home with a standard double garage. So far my ideas are below. I have only built a workbench with 2 shelves (L 1.2m x W 90cm x H 90cm). Note this will only allow you to have space for 1 car (small or large). None of my ideas (apart from french cleat storage) will be connected to studs since I have the tendency to always re-arrange things and I was to move again, i don't want to rebuild these items. Since I am still planning I don't have anything up but hopefully it can give you some ideas on how to arrange your workspace

Side 1)

Annoyingly my garage as a HWS in one corner so i lose a bit of space. This side of the garage will be dedicated to the workshop. split the wall into 3 sections. 1 section will be french cleat storage - hand tools, power tools, clamps, rulers etc. 1 section will be a fixed bench with over head storage and shelves, Final section will be for a portable bench to do any work outside of the garage. Purpose of having 3 benches just gives me flexibility. depth of bench range from 60-90 cm

Side 2) 

on the other side, I will build a bike rack (not attached to stud) that will accommodate 3 bikes vertically and have a shelving for accessories and bike tools, hooks for shoes/helmet to air. Look at Two Wheel Cruise on YouTube. The remaining space will be dedicated to shelving for sport equipment and miscellaneous equipment. I will probably build the shelves otherwise buy the portable steel shelves

Side 3 - opposite side of the garage door

Light weight Portable storage shelves that you can buy for $30-50 at bunnings. They have shallow depth generally 40-45cm to let the car reverse back in and if I get a bigger car, these shelves should accommodate or can easily be moved elsewhere.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zool3

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with your garage layout. Let me tag @J_Smart so that they are made aware of your suggestions. Being in the same situation myself, I find having mobile work tables ideal. Please keep us updated, we would be keen to see your garage layout once you have everything in place.

Eric

pstq
Having an Impact

IMG_0330.JPGI've got about 40 plastic boxes for bits and pieces. They're numbered, and I have an index of the contents in a notebook. They're on shelves because it's not practical to get a box out from under a huge pile of them.

pstq
Having an Impact

IMG_0895.JPGI've also got quite a few very shallow drawers with full extension runners. These are good for packets of screws, etc, so you can see what you've got without rummaging. Also good for spanners, screwdrivers, etc. Most of my power tools are in a deeper drawer under the one shown.

But ultimately if you're running out of space, you either need less stuff or a bigger shed. A compromise is an extra carport style covered area for bigger stuff that doesn't need to be locked up, like timber.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great stuff @pstq!

I need to try clear stackable boxes like that. Currently, I have several black trays with clear lids, so there is no way of actually seeing what is inside easily when they are stacked. I also love the shallow draw idea. Once again, I have some deep cupboards, but things get lost at the back, and there isn't a way to keep track of smaller items. My workbench top, more often than not, gets filled with the smaller items I'm using. I might install a couple of shallow draws within the cupboards as you have done.

Many thanks for the tips, and I trust @J_Smart will appreciate your input too.

Mitchell

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Hi everyone,

Thankyou for all of your responses.

Below is some information and replies to your messages.

Workbench: 740 x 1460

White drawers: 480 x 795

Grey drawers: 510 x 795

Blue drawers closed position: 520 x 760

Blue drawers open position: 520 x 1480

Garage: 6600 x 1900

The garage measurements are a bit misleading as it is much larger but I only have a small space I am allowed to use.

I can step out this space when completing large projects but my storage and day to day space has to fit in to that space and preferable to even less depth that 1900

Thankyou for all of the linked albums.

Not sure how much room to allocate to metalwork. Considering just having a plate I lay onto a wood bench but haven’t decided yet.

I don’t have a table saw yet but will almost certainly be buying one.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects