Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chainsaw buying advice please

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Chainsaw buying advice please

chainsaw.pngHi Folks,

Just wanting advice and comparisons please.

I am looking into a chainsaw for use around our garden

-  looking at cutting branches and trunks up to circa 30cm

- comparing petrol and battery (already seen one article on that here)

- I will also be getting a friend who works with one to be teaching me safety and care of the equipment but would really love one that has safety shutoffs and is easy to look after.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Chainsaws

Hi @DonnaL,

As with my comment in the discussion Petrol or battery garden tools comparable battery units would be the 36V system from Ryobi, the 58V system from AEG or the 82V system from Victa. The 18v tools are great but more suited to trimming of branches up to 12cm.

I would only consider petrol chainsaws over battery if you intend to be doing multiple 30cm cuts on a regular basis. I have watched a side-by-side comparison of a 36v chainsaw and a petrol chainsaw cutting the exact same log of 30cm thickness and they both cut through it at the same rate on multiple occasions. If you were to be doing 150 cuts of 30cm then obviously at some point the battery unit will run out of power and need to be recharged. I normally suggest that when a battery runs out and needs to be charged it's probably a good time for a break anyway. Pop the battery on charge, boil the kettle and grab yourself a biscuit, you can then head back out later on to complete the task.

Battery-powered units are certainly easier to look after than the petrol equivalent. They do away with the need for yearly maintenance on the sparkplug and air filter and you don't need to deal with mixing fuel. They are also lighter and more compact, quieter and they start every time.

In summary, if your typical jobs would be completed in under an hour, you want a reliable easy to start and manage unit and you don't mind popping the battery on charge to finish a job later I would certainly recommend a battery unit.

On recommendations, I strongly suggest you invest in Protector Chainsaw Visor And Earmuffs and consider Oregon Orange Full Wrap Chainsaw Chaps whatever your decision is about petrol or battery powered.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thanks again Mitchell, 

I have kept you busy today😺

You have really helped with my decision. The battery will be ample for my work as I agree with you that once the battery runs out it would be time for a break.

Your other article I read was also very helpful.

One other question if I may....

I understand about the power being a factor with the cuts but is there a difference in chain links that are more useful and does it matter the type of branch ... eg camphor laurel vs camellia?

Thanks again.

Donna L

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DonnaL,

It's my pleasure assisting.

Both petrol and battery chainsaws run similar oil-lubricated chains on them and there is really no difference. The number of chain links directly relate to the length of the chain and thus the bar itself. You'll find generally petrol chainsaws have a longer bar enabling them to cut over 30cm in one cut. Battery chainsaws can also cut over 30cm but you might need to come at the trunk from two sides to achieve this. The demonstrations I have seen with the battery vs petrol chainsaws were conducted on Australian Hardwoods and specifically Blue Gum. The battery units will make short work of all green material and pruning on trees. If you are cutting seasoned and dry camphor laurel at 30cm thickness consistently that is where we come back to the decision about moving onto a petrol machine.

Mitchell

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell,

Decision made. Battery it is. Now I get to go in and buy it 😺😺 ... plus safety gear. 

Even more fun choosing the natives to plant when I have removed all the old trees  ... 🤩

Your time and great easy to understand advice are very much appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@DonnaL,

That's fantastic to hear.

Please keep us updated on what you end up purchasing and if possible a brief run-down on how the chainsaw performed for you. I trust our members would be very interested in learning from your first-hand experiences.

Mitchell

It's an old thread - apologies for re-activating it.

But I gotta say the little Ozito chainsaw is one of the best products I've ever bought from Bunnings. Always fires up within four pulls of the cord and plenty of power for the average backyard and DIY'er.  I cannot fault it - 10 outta 10 in my opinion. 👍

No, I don't work for Bunnings.

20220710_115213.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I agree wholeheartedly, @Noyade. It is a wonderfully versatile unit that performs well above its price point. I've been recommending them for many years, right back to when they came with the green chassis.

It's wonderful to hear your thoughts, and many thanks for the feedback.

Mitchell

Hi,Can't find the Ozito  Petrol Chainsaw at bunnings anymore???

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @XUESONGT. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ozito petrol chainsaws.

The Ozito compact petrol chainsaw is currently a promotional line and not stocked on a regular basis within our stores. I expect them to return shortly as they've always been a popular product. If you were after one now, I'm sure the team at your local store's Special Orders counter would be more than happy to contact Ozito to see if they can order one for you.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects