Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

bruzzz
Getting Established

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

Looks great. How did you attach the wires to the fence? 
keen to do something similar. My only concern is you shouldn’t be hanging anything to a boundary fence??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bruzzz. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Let me mention @royq so they are alerted to your kind feedback and hopefully they can answer your question. From the video, it appears he is using Tek screws to attach the wires to the fence. These Buildex Metal C4 Hexhead No Seal Tek Screws 10g x 16 mm Shale Grey would be similar to what he used. The screws are placed in the fence and the wire is wrapped around their heads.

I am not aware of any regulations in regards to attaching screening or climbers to your side of a boundary fence. Both neighbours may attach screens or trellises to a fence, provided they do not damage it. However, there are some rules which apply to the height in which you can increase your boundary fence.

Are you considering starting a project like this? If so, it would be great to follow along as you complete it and we would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share your results with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ravit
Growing in Experience

@leighq nice work on the fence trellis. Keen to see how the star jasmine has crept up since April and especially we are in Spring so the flowers and fragrance must be spreading. thank you

leighq
Growing in Experience

40112F15-A739-4AD2-9EF0-686AA158A3BB.jpeg

C17D0741-BEDD-4673-9BA3-FC89FD5E4D41.jpeg

Hi ravit, it’s all coming along great, there is new growth daily now that spring is here, no flowers just yet. Really happy how it is looking so far. Sorry my photography skills are not the best.
keen to see how original poster Roy’s fence is looking? 

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

The plants are growing well and have now grown to the top. Will try and get some photos shortly and post it up soon.

ravit
Growing in Experience

looks awesome @leighq. Thanks for sharing!
Making a fence trellis is one of my projects next month so hopefully I can pull it up as great as what you and @royq have done.

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

Here is the updated pic. What does everyone think?IMG_8307.jpg

Hi @rexilla99,

Well, isn't that stunning! That has really made the world of difference and in less time than I would have expected.

Many thanks for sharing your results as I know a lot of members have been wanting to see what this project looks like after filling out.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
leighq
Growing in Experience

Wow @rexilla99 this looks amazing, you must have super soil and a serious green thumb! Awesome job, please post a pic Once it flowers, it will look stunning 👏👍

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

Thanks, I can't take all the credit. The wife looks after it and the plants have grown faster than expected.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects