Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make sturdy wooden edging?

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

How to make sturdy wooden edging?

I am in the process of redesigning my back yard. My goal is to make really strong and sturdy wooden edging which won't warp. I had some edging in this home when I moved in and if the timber was 2cm thick that's probably being too kind and the stakes were short, small and pretty pathetic. It warped and completely dislodged within 12 months. 

I have now manually edged my lawn to the shape I want it(see attached pictures) and my plan is to use 50mm thick treated pine sleepers for the edging and possibly some timber posts cut to 500mm in length for the stakes to solidly hold the sleepers upright in the ground  and for a long time. 

I will need to join sleepers together at 90 degree angles as i turn corners and also join sleepers in straight lines as some of my lengths are over 4M long. 

Could I ask for some advice on:

1) the best material to use when joining 2 sleepers together in a straight line and at 90 degree angles(I was thinking a timber post could be used but there may be something better to achieve this?)

2) which timber screws would you recommend for this project?

3) any other advice you have for me would be most welcome as I am handy but have never done this before.

Thank you. 

20221006_182604.jpg

20221006_182559.jpg

20221006_182554.jpg

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Re: How to make sturdy wooden edging?

@TheHandySqirrel @EricL  thank you so much.  This sounds great however i not 100% can picture how it would be done.  Remember i am not using the normal post but rather have cut 50mm thick x 200mm wide H4 sleepers to 500mm lengths and plan to use those as posts. 

If what i am thinking is correct , if i attach a piece of wood horizontally to my post it would need to be at least twice as wide as the post to keep it suspended in place above the hole and in the cement mix.  But because i want my post 100mm out of the ground to attach my sleepers to, I would need to attach the horizontal piece of wood so all of the post is in the ground with the exception of the last 100mm.  Is this right?  If you had a picture or video you could share it would be really appreciated(I am a visual person).

Thanks,again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lfckop5

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it might look with the horizontal supports. Please keep in mind that the drawing is not to scale and the cylinder representing the pit is not to size.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@EricL thank you. Most appreciated and that's how I imagined it to look. I'm going to use this method for sure. 

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@EricL @TheHandySqirrel quick one before I head off to bunnings for the last of the material I need.  The aim.of those supports is for as easy assemble and disassemble as possible as they are only temporary. Are you thinking some timber nails for this purpose?  Thanks. 

Hi @lfckop5,

I'd use screws which are easier to remove than nails. Plus you can reuse them after disassembly. But nails should work just as good for securing the supports.

Good luck and enjoy your build!

@TheHandySqirrel  thank you so much for your advice. Most appreciated. 

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@TheHandySqirrel @EricL @Noyade @MitchellMc 

Hi all. Just an update. The edging installation has been completed and it all went very well. I am quite proud of myself because I had some doubts. Took me 1 whole day last weekend and 3 x 2 hour sessions after work this last week. I am very happy. 

I will send pictures close to the end of November once I have my new plants in the ground and my mulch delivered. My back yard is transforming before my eyes.

Thanks again for all the help and watch this space for photo's. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's so pleasing to hear, @lfckop5, and I'm delighted to know that you're proud of your efforts. When everything comes together on a project, it feels wonderful.

Great work, and I can't wait to see those photos. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc @TheHandySqirrel @EricL @Noyade 

As promised please find the pictures. I wanted to wait until I had done the newly expanded garden beds to show the transformation. I am so happy with the result. 

I cannot thank everyone enough for all the help. Without it I would not have been able to achieve such a fantastic outcome. 

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

IMG-20221105-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20221105-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20221107-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20221119-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20221119-WA0003.jpeg

20221125_142546.jpg

20221125_142551.jpg

20221125_162420.jpg

20221125_181947.jpg

20221125_181913.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects