Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing rangehood

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Fixing rangehood

I am trying to install my rangehood but when i took out my old rangehood i can notice the new rangehood has four screw slots on top roof. But as my kitchen cabinet is hollow from back so i need to drill side holes in rangehood. Any ideas how i can add support for the rangehood at the back so do not have to drill holes in the sides.

In the image below section 1 has two front screws goes it is fine but section 3 is hollow so screws can not be set there.

so need to drill holes on the sides ( section 2 ) to fix it. Is there any way i can avoid that. I am sure this would be standard things with kitchen cabinet but the rangehoods do not provide the option with side slot to fix screws.

RangehoodInstall.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fixing rangehood

Hi @DexterOz,

Let me tag some helpful members for you to see if they might be able to share how they would go about tackling this job: @Adam_W, @JDE, @ProjectPete, @redracer01.

I know @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @DexterOz 

Depending on the unit you purchased some range hoods specify where to make new mounting holes on the unit. Attached is a link for example : an install booklet for a Bellini range hood : http://www.belliniappliances.com.au/cooking/documents/CRHR6W01-F%20-%2060cm%20Retractable%20Rangehoo...

If you scroll down the booklet, it tells you possible new mounting points for installation. Your rangehood should have possibly come with an install booklet. The other method is to install a panel behind the empty space behind your cabinet. This is on the assumption that there is enough space at the back that it does not push the rangehood forward. Another method is to use hollow wall anchors to hold the rangehood from the back. Most rangehood have holes at the top so that you can screw from the underside and attach it to the bottom shelf inside the cabinet. Please post a make or model of your range hood so that we can better assess it. You may also call the manufacturer and ask them if drilling from the side of the range hood will not compromise the product. Looking forward to hearing from you. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Hi Red,

Thanks for reverting, My rangehood model is westinghouse wrr604sb.

There is not much space at the back 1-2 approx mm extra, if i push the rangehood a bit more then it come out from front.

Exact specs Height below cabinet 175 mm

Depth 300 mm  Width 598mm

I have to use it is recirculating mode. do not have any out duct.

rangehood specs 175 *300*598

Your help is appreciated.

Wall behind seems hollow not sure if that can hold wall anchors

RangehoodInstall1.jpg

Hello @DexterOz 

Attached is the link to the user manual/install instructions for your rangehood https://www.westinghouse.com.au/cooking/rangehoods/wrr604sb/

It is at the bottom of that page on the westinghouse site. I suggest mounting it on your bottom shelf rather than making new holes at the side of the unit. You may have to adjust your shelf to have it at the correct height. 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

@redracer01 Sorry but just trying to understand what you mean to mount on the bottom shelf.Is it the thin wood shelf ( shown in image above where the comment is 1mm )

If i mount it on the bottom thin shelf sitting on the tile then the height for range-hood will not fit to cabinet height  which is 175mm equal to rangehood. If i take that thin shelf out and then fit in rangehood mounted on tile support not sure if that will be able to hold the weight or not.

feeling stuck :unhappy:

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @DexterOz ,

Would it be possible to take a photo of your new rangehood ( top part ) to see if there are any mounting points. The holes you've circled yellow in your picture are the old mounting points and we will not be able to use them again. The mounting for your new rangehood will totally be different. I've attached a basic diagram of how it could  possibly be mounted. Please note that this not to scale, Drilling new holes in your new unit might void the warranty, so I would not recommend it, unless the manufacturer says its ok to do it.

Cheers,

Red

P.S. My apologies I just realized I was looking at the bottom of the rangehood cabinet! It's not a shelf, in that case you will have to adjust the cabinet or add more panels to secure the rangehood in the provided space.

rangehood1.jpg

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

@redracer01Thanks for putting the details together. Yes it was rangehood cabinet. I have attached two images to give more clarity.

1) showing the front view for the rangehood cabinet

2) showing the bottom view camera facing towards roof  which gives clear idea of issue shows the back part of the cabinet

3) Rangehood top view( 4 mounting screw slot)

Regarding the rangehood pic it is exactly similar with four mounting screw slots at the top panel ( as shown in the drawing you shared. ) Drawing is the correct description except in my case the cabinet is half the depth. I hope this gives the clear picture.

Your help is appreciated

RangehoodInstall3.jpg

RangehoodInstall2.jpg

RangehoodInstall4.jpg

Hello @DexterOz 

Now that we can see it yes we will need to add a bit of timber to extend the bottom back of the rangehood cabinet. This will allow you to screw it in and not have to make new holes in your shiny new range hood.

Cheers,

Red

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

@redracer01 Can you please help how can i do that  extra support timber or mdf. How to put it in that tight space.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects