Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to modernise kitchen on a budget?

RennoJo
Finding My Feet

How to modernise kitchen on a budget?

Hi All,

Loving this forum!  I am after some assistance on a cheap, but not nasty way to quickly modernise the kitchen in our apartment, I would love any ideas.  I'd love any before and after pics of anyone that may have done one similar.  The apartment is only small, so wanting it to lighten the place up a little more and make it nice light and bright and modern. Unfortunately I think we need to keep the tiles as is and also the bathrooms have a similar cupboard, so would be nice to keep it consistent to work in the bathroom as well. 

I have attached the pics of the current kitchen, but also some pics of idea's that I don't mind the idea of.  I also have some questions:

- Can we just paint the doors etc? they are laminated melamine I believe. 

- Could we just put a splash back over the tiles to make life easy? 

- I dont really want to change the bench tops unless necessary, unless its easy enough? 

Current Kitchen, little dark in cornerCurrent Kitchen, little dark in corner

Is dark in the corner .. 

Island Bench, cupboard under sink not practical at allIsland Bench, cupboard under sink not practical at all

Is all open under sink, storage isnt great ..

Some of the cupboards even different colours ..Some of the cupboards even different colours ..

Some of the cupboards are different colours, some grain, some not ...

I do like these cupboards and splashbackI do like these cupboards and splashback

I do like something like this? White and the light blue splash back, think this is doable? 

again like the splash back, not the cuboardsagain like the splash back, not the cuboards

I like the splash back here, not the cuboards ... 

Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to modernise kitchen on a budget?

Hello @RennoJo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to modernize your kitchen on a budget.

Using the Dulux Renovation Range is one of the best ways to give your kitchen doors a new look. If you have melamine doors in the bathroom this product will work on the bathroom vanity as well. One way to change the look of your tiles is to literally tile over them. If tile removal is outside the budget and you can only afford to have someone to put it on. You can also paint your tiles using the Dulux Renovation Range as well.

There are so many options for adding affordable highlights and texture to your kitchen. A classic example is by using Easycraft EasyVJ Panels on your island. If you prefer a timber look you can use the Porta 30 x 12mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Moulding Half Round Dowel. I suggest visiting your store and having a look at the painted melamine boards to see how yours will look once painted. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Cosmetic kitchen makeover by @diy_hausdesigns

Here is a link to give you ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular kitchen projects

Let me tag our experienced members @craftyhopper and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also add my welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RennoJo. We are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen.

Just wanted to add this resource to Eric's helpful reply. You should get plenty of inspiration from it - 10 kitchens transformed with paint.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
craftyhopper
Making a Splash

Hi @RennoJo 

Such an exciting project, as a simple colour update will change this space dramatically!

In my opinion your tile splash back pattern is still on trend, so a colour update would work well and lighten up the space.

Can't wait to see what you do :smile:

Great, thank you Eric

Thanks @craftyhopper , so you think I could literally get away with only painting the cupboards and leave the rest as is? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects