Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas to renovate 70s kitchen

woolfj
Growing in Experience

Ideas to renovate 70s kitchen

IMG_1313.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for kitchen design to renovate old 70s kitchen

@woolfj

Here's the specs for the replacement kitchen that Bunnings team members installed. It utilised products from Kaboodle. 

Hope it helps.

Jason

DIY House - Kitchen 1 Layout.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
woolfj
Growing in Experience

Thankyou Jason - I've tried using that program but I'm not savvy enough or something....... will keep trying

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

• Overhead cupboards always a winner and consider an integrated rangehood over that sweet oven/stove you've got.
  • Drawers tend to make storage more practical and make better use of space so look at those options although it doesn't look like you have much space to do that.
  • Does that window open to an entertaining area? Could convert to a serving/pass-through window.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
woolfj
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your ideas - yes unfortunately a very limited area which is why I'm considering all options. The kitchen window opens outside only.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @woolfj,

Just checking in to see if you have made any progress on your kitchen project or if you need any assistance with anything? It would be great to get an update from you.

This discussion has been one of the most visited on Workshop this year. There are obviously a lot of 70s kitchens out there in need of renovation!

By the way, we inherited a 70s-era kitchen when we bought our current home. Here's what it looked like:

70sKitchen.jpg

You can see what we did with it here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Kitchen/What-would-you-do-with-this-kitchen/m-p/411

Thanks,

Jason

adamc
Just Starting Out

Hi Woolfj
Yeah definitely replace the range with a double cupboard that incorporates a slide out range
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @woolfj,

We've recently kicked off another discussion about renovating a 70s kitchen that you might like to follow - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Kitchen/Kitchen-Renovation/td-p/21803

Hope all is well,

Jason

@woolfj

Time to make some hard choices. I suggest removing the breakfast bar and the cabinet next to it and putting a pantry where the microwave is currently placed. I suggest the biggest you can fit in. If theres nothing next to the fridge I suggest a breakfast nook where the microwave can live in. This does 2 things, it eases the flow of traffic into your kitchen. No more bumping into each other. You automatically gain more storage space. If you buy a split pantry with drawers its a win win situation. Send me the dimensions of the kitchen and I'll sketch it for yah. Oh and draw the size of that laundry as well and well see if theres anything we can do about that. Cheers! My apologies should have clicked the next page duh!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

woolfj
Growing in Experience

House plan attached - garage has been converted to living area without any walls into it. The plan actually needs to be mirrored but havn't found a program as yet that will do it and the figures!!House plan original new Sept 18.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @woolfj,

Here are my suggestions. Please note that the drawings attached are not to measure and are for idea/illustration purposes only.
1. I suggest using flat pack kitchen systems, makes it easier and a lot cheaper than custom made kitchens. Remove the small breakfast bar. By doing that you open the kitchen up and it makes it easier for people to come in and out and there is no awkward dance who goes first or people bumping into one another.
2. Move fridge to where the microwave currently is. This will provide you with the opportunity to place a large pantry and a mid sized one next to one another. This configuration I've made for maximum storage. Under bench microwave and the breakfast nook is now on the right.
3. Remove that orphan wall cabinet and turn it into shelves. Easier on the eyes and does not distract from the over all look. But even this re-arrangement looks so tight and crowded. I suggest looking at configuration 2. Its so much more open and gives your kitchen good flow.

Front with fridge moved to left side from original spotFront with fridge moved to left side from original spotRemoved existing pantry and placed new pantry set and cabinet set as new breakfast areaRemoved existing pantry and placed new pantry set and cabinet set as new breakfast areaNo more single cabinet, yes the golden brass gold fish can stay or was it koiNo more single cabinet, yes the golden brass gold fish can stay or was it koiThis shows you where the fridge would go. Not the best layout but gives you maximum storageThis shows you where the fridge would go. Not the best layout but gives you maximum storageThis is configuration 2. I swapped your fridge and your cooking range positions. added a pullout pantry next to the fridge and an appliance nook to park the kettle and toaster.This is configuration 2. I swapped your fridge and your cooking range positions. added a pullout pantry next to the fridge and an appliance nook to park the kettle and toaster.Cooking range side maximizes cooking and prep space for those big meals. No more pushing for bench top work space.Cooking range side maximizes cooking and prep space for those big meals. No more pushing for bench top work space.Even more bench top space and you get wall cabinets. This is the new breakfast area.Even more bench top space and you get wall cabinets. This is the new breakfast area.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects