Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with my DIY kitchen island using Ikea MALM

abs898
Getting Established

Need help with my DIY kitchen island using Ikea MALM

Hi everyone

It's my first time doing a D.I.Y project, it's hard for me as I live in an apartment and there isn't much space for these projects. Not to mention, I don't own much tools either, just a basic drill set.

I want to create an island using my already built IKEA MALM drawer as in the photo and use a timbrr board for top and side.

Would I be able to get timber panels cut to exact dimensions and what brackets or anything else would you recommend to put this together?

Thanks in advance!! 

Screenshot_20210511-203300_Chrome.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY kitchen island using Ikea MALM

Wonderful to hear that you’re giving your first D.I.Y. project a go @abs898. Let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. You’ve come to the right place for ideas and advice.

Sounds like you’ve got a great plan in mind for this kitchen island. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help you get started on this project when he’s back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, let me tag @redracer01 and @diy_hausdesigns to see if they can share any suggestions.

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service and @MitchellMc has put together helpful answers to frequently asked questions about this:

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

I can completely understand the tight squeeze of an apartment as I’m in one too. I'm sure community members looking to tackle D.I.Y. projects while living in an apartment will be looking to you for inspiration, and we’d love to see progress pictures and hear updates about this project along the way.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Need help with my DIY kitchen island using Ikea MALM

Hello @abs898 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop and thank you for sharing your query with the community. In order for you to replicate the picture you've posted I suggest taking some measurements first to see if your planned breakfast bar will fit the area. You will need a minimum of 900mm on each side of the breakfast area to allow you to walk around it without obstruction. The MALM cabinet and the waterfall side must be secured to the floor.

As far as tools is concerned you need a tape measure and a pencil to mark the position of the island. Once you've determined that everything will fit, it is now time to decide what type of bench top you are going for. Timber bench tops are easy to order and come in both 600mm and 900mm They come in 2400mm long all the way to 3600mm as far as I can remember. You may also choose a timber laminate finish which is the other type of top you can use. You can now use your drill to make some pocket holes in the interior side of the waterfall to fix it to the main bench top. Please remember to drill pilot holes to prevent bench top splitting.

You can do what is called a mock up. Place the carcass of the MALM in its designated spot and place the bench top and waterfall side in position. Have a friend hold this while you inspect and measure and decide if it is center enough. Once everything is finally in position you then glue with silicone the MALM cabinet to the floor. Then apply silicone to the waterfalls bottom foot and clean and proceed to main top. The bench top must be secured to the MALM using screws from the bottom end of the MALM cabinet. Now we wait for the silicone to dry.

Now your asking why silicone? Silicone as a fixing agent is ideal, expandable, temperature tolerant and has excellent holding power. Some of our more experienced readers would recommend angle brackets and hidden steel fixings. I only worry that the MALM is not that strong to hold heavy duty fixings. This will also require you to drill through tiles and cement. Unless of course you have a timber floor in which case using angle brackets is viable. If you accidentally crack one of your tiles it will be a long process to fix and replace hence the silicone. Once you've determined your island size post it here on workshop and we can have a better idea for fixings.

Cheers,

Red

malm ikea1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

abs898
Getting Established

Hello @redracer01 

Thank you so much for your response, that helps heaps.

I have a rough idea of what size I would want it to be. 

The only other question is, is there an alternate to screwing it to the floor as I live in a rental and silicone might not be ideal. Also the floor is tile.

Screenshot_20210512-112815_Gallery.jpg

Hello @abs898 

Thank for providing more information. If we are not allowed permanent fixtures you will have to reinforce the waterfall with heavy duty steel angle brackets to provide rigidity in case of movement. The MALM will have to be reinforced from the bottom with some 70 x 35 DAR non treated pine for extra stiffness at the bottom of the cabinet. This will provide enough stiffness to the entire island. Rubber strips will have to glued to the bottom of the waterfall and the base bottom of the cabinet to protect the floor in case of movement. I will later post some drawings time permitting 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

abs898
Getting Established

Hi @redracer01 

Thanks so much, great suggestions!

I have also decided to take the top of MALM off and replace it with the bench top. I am thinking of using glue and angle brackets to hold them together. This will make it look more uniform.

Cheers

Hope to get a bench top theat is 900 wide so it covers the 800mm of MALM making it comfortable to sit on both sides of required.

Hello @abs898 

Just to add more info on your build, the default width size of island bench tops is 900mm. But I strongly suggest that you visit the store and get quotes for real timber from THINK bench tops and laminated tops from KABOODLE to give yourself a wide range of choice.

Cheers 

Red

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abs898,

It's great to see you are receiving some in-depth assistance from the knowledgeable @redracer01. I trust he has already answered many of your questions, but please do let us know if anything else comes up.

This sounds and looks like a fantastic project, and I'll be intently following along. We're here to help, so reach out if you get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects