Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beautiful desk makeover

Oddchair22
Building a Reputation

Beautiful desk makeover

When I acquired this old desk one of the legs had come off and the old varnish was peeling from everywhere.

Firstly I glued the leg back original Gorilla glue for a perfect repair.

I then sanded back the top to raw wood and the rest of the desk and draws I sanded off all of the old varnish for a smooth finish. I sanded using a Ryobi orbital sander using 240 grit.

Using my Ryobi gravity fed spray gun I applied two coats of the British stain blocker 4 in 1.

I taped the edges of the top so I would t get any paint on the clean raw wood.

Once dried I applied three coats of Dulux Black Water one of the most beautiful deep dark green currently trending.

Allowed to dry for 12 hrs and then sealed paint with Pureco Hemp Oil.

The raw wood top I stained using Cabot’s stain in Brazilian Roast just one coat as I did not want it to be too dark and sealed with a coat of Timber Protect water base satin finish varnish. Fitted new draw handles also purchased from Bunnings original colur was black but I spray painted them in gold using squirts satin gold spray paint.

IMG_3654.jpegIMG_3650.jpegIMG_3648.jpegIMG_3655.pngIMG_8117.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Beautiful desk makeover

Hi @Oddchair22,

You have created another wonderful upcycle piece! This desk suits so many different home styles and I am sure will be very loved in your home. I really like how you chose to keep the top timber as it perfectly complements your Black Water colour. 

Well done!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Oddchair22
Building a Reputation

Re: Beautiful desk makeover

Thank you @KatieC for your lovely comments ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects