Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can vertical Specrite Panels handle the weight of a Murphy Bed?

ilox
Growing in Experience

Can vertical Specrite Panels handle the weight of a Murphy Bed?

My wife has bought a full Murphy bed kit, all except for the timber bits. Attached is the overall look of the bed from their Instruction booklet.
That leaves me with 2 Questions.
1. As the Specrite panel is a laminated board, will it have sufficient strength to handle the mounts for the frame?
Hint: the usual occupants and dog will add up to about 250 - 300 kg.
My thoughts were to use the SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Multi-Use Merbau Panel as the best option to hold tight the mounting screws. The backplane and under-bed panels will probably be BC (as the facing panels need to be furniture grade) or CD 17mm ply.
2. The bed frame manufacturers suggest keeping it all together with the fittings shown in the top right of the image. In other words, the kind of light to medium-weight cupboard fixings that you could expect to find in any kitchen, or cupboard flatpack. I have successfully used these many times in the past on kitchen cupboards, shelving, and other furniture but I think the Connector Cam sets are not adequate for fixing these heavy sides to the back plate and transferring all of that strain and stress. 
I have bought some packs of the Connector Cam bolts but I am open to suggestions on better ways to fix the backplane to the surrounds and butt join the two pieces of 17mm ply needed to make up the backplane and the pieces under the mattress. They suggested double-ended Cam Connectors but couldn't find any at my Parafield SA store so I also bought some of the Hafele Benchtop connectors only to find they stand too high (22mm high) and will have to go back. 
What is left for me to try? 2024-0315-1248 murphy bed plan D.jpgPocket screws maybe?

ilox
Growing in Experience

Re: Can vertical Specrite Panels handle the weight of a Murphy Bed?

My last job for the night has been to fit one of the Stops that will receive the bed frame when it is put back into the cupboard 

I am sure these are too close to the front but they are fitted according to the plans. All they do is spring back.

1000022438.jpg

1000022437.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ilox 

Thank you very much for the photo updates. Your Murphy bed is coming together very nicely, I'm looking forward to seeing it fully assembled and painted.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ilox
Growing in Experience

Thanks again for your support, Eric, the project has gone into hiatus while I complete assignments with my university course.
I got to the point where one side was connected to the bottom and the other side has been put in the right place ready to be screwed.
Both side pieces, the bottom, and top panels have been finished ( top and bottom are 10mm hardwood pieces glued and screwed to a 15mm ply substrate) and sanded down to at least a 125 grade. I do not plan to sand much further as my hands and arms can no longer take it. I would love to take it down to 400/600/very very fine but I would have to pay someone or find a volunteer someone to do that because I am no longer capable of doing it.

When you mentioned paint I probably should mention that the goal will be to provide at least two clear coats on it thus showing off the beautiful figuring of the Victoria Ash. I do not want to do anything to cover that up.

I want to work out how to fit a string of LED lights across the top and sides such that the bed occupants can easily light and dim the lighting around the bed. I might have to also fit a couple of LED spot lights in case they want to do any reading in bed. I also need to work out how to fit some power points and USB slots to power their separate laptops and charge their phones overnight. Maybe I could fit some power boards into the side panels?

No update photos at the moment because the room is in a very sad state of disarray and dust due to having to build it in the room because it is unlikely I would ever be able to take it out of the room. It is just too big and too solid.

Again, thank you for your interest. As soon as I complete this university requirement I will be back to finish off the bed because the potential occupants as well as the home manager are giving me grief with all the panels/mattresses/tools spread around the hallway and the lounge room. Deep sigh.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects