Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coffee table

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Coffee table

table.png

I have completed this coffee table made from Tasmanian Oak for legs and rails and recycled timber for the table top, I don't what kind of timber it is. It's a hard wood similar to Tassie oak, but lighter in color, if someone could identify it, I would be very grateful.

Table top, unknown type of timber.

19.JPG

20.JPG

JoeAzza_0-1633736598339.jpeg

30.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Coffee table

What a fantastic looking coffee table @JoeAzza!

You've got me beat on the timber, but it does look quite similar to Tassie Oak. I have seen both lighter and darker boards before, so perhaps it just has a slight variation.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hey great pice of work.

Looking at the end grain for the top appears very much like Mountain Ash. By chance when working on the edges did they splinter easily when sanding? 

Plus what method did you use for all jointing, (Dowel, Pocket screw or Mortise and Tenon)?

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@r23on

Mountain Ash is what I was thinking too, thank you. I don't think it splintered much on the edges, I used a fine tooth blade on my drop saw.

I used loose tenon and mortise joints, much easier to do, I made a jig so I can router out the mortise12.5mm spiral router bit, I then cut the loose tenons to fit the mortise, I used 40x12.5mm Tassie Oak .

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

8-1.JPG

10.JPG

r23on
Amassing an Audience

@JoeAzza 

Thanks for the feedback, Lose tenons much easer than the old methods haven’t got around to that yet I have been doweling or dove tails for most of my joints

Over the last few week I have been doing restoration work on park / garden benches, the thing left is the cast frames. 

r23on_2-1633828319021.jpeg

r23on_3-1633828373823.jpeg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@r23on nice work, garden benches looking good, I have tried dovetails, you need lots of patience. I did a garden bench a while back, I spray painted   the cast iron with spray cans, much easier than using a paint brush, it gets in all the hard area's.IMG_1206 (2).JPG

r23on
Amassing an Audience

@JoeAzza that has come up well.

I have two more to do but they are rusted to hell and instead of wire brushing I am using a electrolyte bath (battery charger baking soda/bicarb soda) and about 15 hours 

r23on_0-1633901760911.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects