Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Contemporary makeover of vintage bedsides

vintagemagnolia
Cultivating a Following

Contemporary makeover of vintage bedsides

inbound5946528328006826066.jpg

My challenge was to re imagine, rescue from landfill and execute a complete revamp of these redundant, damaged and dated pair of 80s colonial style pair of bedside nightstands. I reveal the decorative base skirt trim. Removed and replaced the water damaged swollen mdf bases on both cupboards with new wood fibreboard from bunnings. As these originally were too short in height for modern beds, I decided on new sleek 15cm gold legs for a sleek, modern feel. I sanded, cleaned and filled any gaps as the pine tops on these were both split and needed gluing and clamping. The painted finish was all hand brushed by me, starting with a base primer of zinsser bin 123 (bunnings). Painted in a boutique paint fin

inbound1025188881854743462.jpg

inbound7667779311835271813.jpg

ish, 3 coats in a tranquil, easy on the eye colour palette. 3 coats of a water based top coat for durability. Addition of complimentary new hardware. Now they are so beautiful, clean, sleek looking and at 65cm tall are the recommended standard height for modern beds. I feel confident that these lovely bedsides will have a long life ahead of them

inbound1930310949485091414.jpg

inbound6780389235643768387.jpg

inbound1340307933063090345.jpg

inbound2864833840531284640.jpg

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: contemporary makeover of vintage bedsides

@vintagemagnolia Welcome to workshop and thank you for sharing such an incredible upcycle! I absolutely love what you have done with these side tables, you have have done an amazing job! 👏🏻👏🏻

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vintagemagnolia

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. What a beautiful makeover of those bedside tables. Thank you for sharing some of your progress shots, it would seem that the moisture damage was quite severe. But your repair job looks fantastic and those gold legs really enhance the cabinet finish.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic vintage side table project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vintagemagnolia
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome Eric! It was a big job for sure!

Thank you, that's so lovely of you to say 🙂

Hi @vintagemagnolia

Where did you source the handles for your tables? It's a shame that the detail is lost in the picture but on closer inspection, they look fantastic. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Contemporary makeover of vintage bedsides

@vintagemagnolia  

I love seeing upcycling done to something pre loved !!! This looks gorgeous. Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community and look forward to seeing more of your creative work 😄

dorabulldog
Having an Impact

This looks fantastic! Love the gold legs and handles!

Thank you so much for your beautiful words! ❤️ Revamping unloved, unwanted furniture is my passion

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome and appreciating what I do❤️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects