Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Custom side table

Kellie79
Getting Established

Custom side table

Purchased a piece of wood, thinner pieces of edging, and decorative moulding pieces to make a custom side table to fit over our speaker. Cut to size with a slide compound saw and assembled using putty wood filler, liquid nails, screws and brackets (all bunnings). Painted with wood primer and then Dulux oil enamel in Lexicon Quarter. 

20220706_195406.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-195153_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-195206_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-195222_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-195236_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-195254_Gallery.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Custom side table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kellie79. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

What a terrific way to not only create an aesthetically pleasing side table but also hide your speaker. You've done an exceptional job, and the level of finish you've achieved is superb.

Any idea how long the project took and the approximate cost? I trust our members would be interested in knowing those details. Also, did you run into any issues along the way, or was it all smooth sailing?

Great work, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Custom side table

I am unsure of the final cost, the wood top was the most expensive part but I had a decent amount leftover for other projects so that was handy. It was actually more difficult than I thought it would be lol. I saw a side table picture and one day thought, I could do that....!  It was a learning curve as have never built anything with wood before so took time working it out. By far, the most difficult part was the angles. For some reason, even with the 45° on the saw, I just couldn't quite get them lined up very well! Many, many laughs at myself during the attempts! Having said that, as a complete wood newbie it was (eventually) doable. It probably took me 7-10 hours all up over a number of weekends, including painting (4 coats to try and get oil enamel smooth). 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects