Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Scandi coffee table

pipchalkz
Growing in Experience

DIY Scandi coffee table

20220727_122534 (1).jpg

Sometimes a project falls into place and is put together within a short time frame.  This project, although small and relatively simple, seemed to take a long time to come to fruition. 

I wanted to try a blonde wood / scandi style table on this $6 tip shop find.  The timber is mixed with a top made of rattan. 

20220727_122948 (1).jpg

20220626_090731.jpg

Out came the trusty belt sander to sand back as much as possible with 120 grit.  Over a series of days (7) I applied bleach to the timber with a paint brush rotating the coffee table to direct sunlight for maximum effect.  I achieved the result I was looking for and was quite pleased with myself only to find after I applied the sealer the patchy red timber was peeking back through. 

Another sand and then with the left over liming wash from a previous project I applied a thin coat and promptly wiped it off with a clean rag. The timber was turning back to the blonde wood aesthetic again.  

20220724_110241.jpg

There was bold colour difference between the timber and rattan at this stage.  To correct the colour balance I taped up the dry timber with painters tape and applied two coats of White Knight in Paperbark satin finish. 

20220727_122738.jpg20220727_122744.jpg20220727_122819.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Scandi coffee table

Hello @pipchalkz

What a beautiful find at the tip shop. I love the blond finish that you've gone for as it really modernizes the overall look of the piece. It reminds me of the custom furniture you find in modern hotels. 

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful makeover of your scandi table.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects