Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Wardrobe insert shelves

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

DIY Wardrobe insert shelves

I have wardrobe with no shelves or partition, so i want to build standalone insert shelves that sits between

the current partition. I have tried to measure and put down on paper roughly. 

Question : a)  Is that the correct way to measure or do i need to leave more margins on side 

b) Is melamine particle board good for wardrobe 

c) Do Bunnings cuts board to size or i can cut using reciprocating saw 

d) What kind of screws to use with melamine 

Any additional tips for first timer

Wardrobe.jpg

Thanks in anticipation 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Wardrobe insert shelves

Hello @DexterOz

When you are fitting a cabinet into an existing space. It is very rare that the actual space is square. You'll sometimes notice that the back area is either 1mm or 2mm shorter than the front. When this happens you find yourself in a quandary as you've cut the timber exactly. To answer your first question, I suggest measuring the space at the front and back to see if they are square. Provide yourself with a 2mm gap so that it will be easy to slide the cabinet in.

Melamine particle board is perfect for the wardrobe. The white clean surface of the melamine board is the ideal material to use when storing clothing. I recommend using Zenith 8G x 40mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 28 Pack to hold it together. My top tip for your project is to drill pilot holes for all the screws that you'll be using.

To make your assembly easier, I suggest using Trojan 75mm Mitre & Corner Clamp

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL good point I just measured at the bottom to assume it was square. i will again measure from

front to back and add that 2mm margin.Thanks for sharing the links.

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

I have updated the measurements, the space was not a perfect square some reason the back is a bit smaller not sure how but to eyes it looks normal. 

1) To fix the corners 90 degree should i use the above mentioned screws drill it into the board straight

2) For the shelf in between i am thinking to use Taskmaster 5mm Pin White Plastic Shelf Support - 20 Pack - Bunnings Australia

3) do i need to use wood glue 

4) shelf support holes would it be ok to drill pilot holes is there some sort jig. One i could find on bunnings is very expensive Kreg 5mm Shelf Pin Jig - Bunnings Australia

5) can i get this cut to measure at bunnings 

Wardrobe.jpg

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DexterOz,

The Trojan 75mm Mitre & Corner Clamp will assist in you joining the corners at 90 degrees with Zenith 8G x 40mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws.

Those Taskmaster shelf support pins would be perfect, and they are a press-fit, so no wood glue is needed. The Kreg jig is for making multiple holes so you can adjust the shelf if required. If you only need it at a fixed height, you can drill the four holes by hand. Make sure to measure twice before drilling their locations.

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get those sizes cut in store. It would be best to go later at night or during a weekday. That way, a team member can spend plenty of time cutting and getting everything right for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Bummer i went to bunnings today to get the cuts but i got a mixed reply. Team member said if its less than 300mm then we can not cut :unhappy: . So now need to find some other way to get the cuts. 

I thought they would cut to size :unhappy:

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Dexter!

"I have wardrobe with no shelves or partition"

Possibly an act of heresy on a Bunnings forum and I don't wanna cramp your desire to build - but have you looked at Kmart of Fantastic Furniture?

Based on your dimensions above, the depth of around 300 mm seems very small? Sounds creepy - but any chance of a photo of your shelf-less wardrobe area? I can't help but think there's a simpler/cheaper solution for such a small space?

To give you an example of what I'm on about - two of these "thingys" (my wife bought it) would fit in the space you've illustrated above and provide six drawers. But that may be not what you're after?

I think it was around $40?

KmartKmart

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DexterOz

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get your timber cut. I'm afraid 300mm is the limit of the cutting service. However, this would be an excellent opportunity for you to get a Circular Saw and cut the timber yourself. I recommend doing a couple of practice runs on timber offcuts before committing to the actual project. I imagine that if you get this tool, the number of possible timber projects you can do will increase.      

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

It is basically a walk in robe, i just wanted to start with one side and see how i go 

Picture1.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects