Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Wardrobe insert shelves

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

DIY Wardrobe insert shelves

I have wardrobe with no shelves or partition, so i want to build standalone insert shelves that sits between

the current partition. I have tried to measure and put down on paper roughly. 

Question : a)  Is that the correct way to measure or do i need to leave more margins on side 

b) Is melamine particle board good for wardrobe 

c) Do Bunnings cuts board to size or i can cut using reciprocating saw 

d) What kind of screws to use with melamine 

Any additional tips for first timer

Wardrobe.jpg

Thanks in anticipation 

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Re: DIY Wardrobe insert shelves

Thanks @EricL i will go and check it out also i was thinking then i would also need bench or more supporting tools. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise for the confusion, @DexterOz as this appears to be an interpretation issue.

It would be my understanding that we should be able to cut those lengths from CustomPine 1200 x 295 x 16mm White Melamine Boards. What we can't do is take a length of timber less than 300mm long and cut that. We should be able to take 5mm off the above board and then cut it to the correct length for you. Or, take a larger board and cut strips of 290mm off it.

It's about keeping our team safe and their hands more than 300mm away from the blade. This doesn't mean we can't cut strips less than 300mm off larger boards.

@EricL's suggestion of getting a circular saw is fantastic, and I'd encourage you to consider that option. I have the Ryobi One+ 18V 165mm Circular Saw - Skin Only, and it's sensational. I just put a new blade in it the other day and have been using it to cut timber on the deck I'm building.

If you weren't keen on purchasing your own saw, then I would be more than happy to contact the store for you and discuss what cutting options are available. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc all good. Thanks for explaining. Below is what i initially planned getting a big board 2400 * 1200 * 16 mm and get cuts to specs and what i went to with in workshop. Would this makes sense. or going with smaller board is the approach would be better.

Rough dimensions ( hand written  ) 

Correct dimension ( vary 1% in drawing ) accommodating the variations 

Screenshot 2021-12-04 144228.jpg

Thanks

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Dexter.

Nice wardrobe - very tidy! :smile:

I was thinking of some battens attached to the sides at whatever height you want and then insert the shelves?

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Picture1.jpg

Scan0796.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I really like @Noyade's approach of using the existing cabinetry @DexterOz.  

Please allow me the opportunity to contact your local store to discuss your requirements. Those 67mm strips will probably be an issue as they fall under the less than 300mm rule.

I'll reach out via private message to find out your location.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DexterOz,

I've spoken to Ashley in the Timber Yard at your local Bunnings Store. He believes that there shouldn't be an issue with most of those cuts. We might run into an issue when we get to the very bottom cut, though. However, he'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you and do his best to make all the required cuts.

He's there for the rest of today and tomorrow. If you're heading in at another time, just give the store a quick call to make sure he's there.

Mitchell

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc i will probably try tomorrow or thursday ( will give a call before if i went on thursday). Thanks heaps and will let you know how i go. 

Thanks

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc . Team member at store was very helpful and knowledgeable helped with the cuts. He could only manage how to have small cuts

Points i learned building this. 

1) Measure in mm ( i initially measured in cm which caused confusion ) 

2) space is never prefect square  so had to chip off edges shelves to adjust to space, I did not had sander but managed to get some hand sand paper . Need to find a better solution next time 

3) Measurement is the key

Have got two more to go lets see how i go with that.

WardrobeFinal.jpg 

Thanks @MitchellMc and @EricL for your help. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great result @DexterOz. Well done! 

Jason

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

@DexterOz 

Looks good! :smile:

Is there a back on it?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects