Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY tiled desk

SaraD0510
Getting Established

DIY tiled desk

tiled cube.JPGtiled hallway table.JPG

Hi,

My friend and I would like to attempt this trendy tiled look but on the Ikea Lack table (just the basic $13 one) and we're not entirely sure how many tiles we'd need and if it's possible to paint over the white square tiles prior to gluing it onto the table. Any advice in terms of painting over tiles, how much grout to get/what kind and what kind of adhesive to use?

Best, 

Sara

ikon1.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY tiled desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SaraD0510 and thanks for jumping right in with a great question.

You're in exactly the right place. We're here to help. Could you share the dimensions of the table so we have a better idea of the scale of the project. The wonderful @redracer01 and @MitchellMc will definitely be able to point you in the right direction to get started on this D.I.Y. project. I'm hoping @ProjectPete might have some tiling tips for you too.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
SaraD0510
Getting Established

Hi Jane! 

Thank you for easing my anxiety :smile: 

The dimensions of the table is shown on the image below: 

Capture.JPG

We'd like to tile the legs, so I think small square tiles would be ideal. I don't yet know the width of the legs... 

Best,

Sara

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @SaraD0510 

I tracked this down to a furniture store in Denmark called ikon kobenhavn. It is a very unique type of furniture but I imagine that once all that tile is on it will have a bit of weight to it. If you are doing it on the lack table furniture from ikea your first step is to choose a tile size.

1. The tile size has to be big enough so that it covers the legs with a single run, otherwise you will be spending time cutting the tiles down to make them fit. It may look a bit off balance if the tiles are not all the same size but, I could be wrong about the final look.

2. The tiles at the top will have to be laid in either three ways. First method is to have an overhang where the tiles at the top go past your table to cover the tiles coming up from the side. Second method is to do it the other way and the tiles at the side come up past the side of the table to meet up with the tiles on the table top. Third method is to leave a gap and have the tiles end at the edge of the table. Looking at the current picture above they have made a combination of both. The sides have come up to meet the top, but the front tiles of the table have been laid on the interior side having an overhang at the top.

3. This is a project that will require several days to allow the adhesive to dry properly. If it is grouted too early, moisture will get trapped behind the tile and it will possibly pop or dislodge itself from the table.

4. Although I have seen some videos where the tiler has tiled directly to the table, I think it is prudent to put primer on the surface of the table to ensure that the glue will "grip" on to the surface of your table. But that's me being very cautious.

5. I recommend a premixed bucket of Resaflex. It is a very flexible tile glue and is very easy to work with. The other option is Rubber modified tile adhesive also from Dunlop but you will have to mix this in a bucket.

6. Any grout mixture will work with this project. 

7. Make sure to do this in an open space away from the elements as the adhesives mentioned will have a smell to them. You don't want that trapped in the house.

8. Once the glue and grout have dried I recommend to seal the whole table with "Tile and Grout Sealer" this will protect the table from spills and your grout lines remain fresh and unaffected.

If you are planning on painting a picture on the tile once you have finished tiling and grouting. The answer is yes you can, you can use either Dunlop tile paint or White Knight. Instructions to paint tile are usually at the back of the container and are in a step by step process. I hope this has given you ideas where to start. We would be truly grateful if you can post photos of your progress so that others can see how you made it. It is a fantastic project and will look good once finished. Good luck and stay safe.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Sara (@SaraD0510),

It's great to see you've already received a prompt and comprehensive reply from the very knowledgeable @redracer01. I agree with all the information he has provided as it sounds like a very sensible approach.

I look forward to following along with your project as I think it will look quite sensational once complete. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I will be sure to leave enough time and not be hasty.  

I would want to paint the tile pink (assuming I don’t find the right size/colour tile I need) prior to gluing, in case the grout scratches off the paint...

I found this video on tiktok of someone else doing the exact same project in the US (https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeeNVQqa/) Not sure where we could get cheaper tiles in Aus? 

I will share pictures :smile: 

Thanks! 

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @SaraD0510. Just wondering whether you had an update for us on this project?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects