Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating desk - brick wall install

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Floating desk - brick wall install

Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpgI recently installed the below floating desk for a customer of mine so I thought I'd share the process at a high level and the end result which we're all pretty happy with :smile:

First challenge - it's a 2880mm desk so it was important to get the right brackets and support in place. 

I got my kitchen guy to cut a length of laminate to size and I got to work on cutting channels in the underside of the desk to hide the brackets. Of course my sister hadn't returned my router and given she lives an hour away, I got to work with a chisel and a multitool. Bit of extra elbow grease required and not as clean finish as a router, but it did the job well enough.

20181009_092639.jpg 20181009_091303.jpg

Next it was time to measure up the walls of the study to install the angle brackets including cutting channels into the plaster on a brick wall to conceal the two large supporting brackets.

20181009_113706.jpg

To finish it all off I pop the desk on top, screw it to the brackets, plaster/sand/paint over the wall channels and finish the edges on top with white silicone. Unfortunately don't have a photo of the desk set up yet but will do soon. 

20181014_084541.jpg 20181021_115729.jpg Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpg

Hope you like it :grin:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Floating desk - brick wall install

Hi @homehack,

A standard PVA wood glue would be suitable for laminating two sheets together. You could use a Polyurethane adhesive, which is stronger than PVA, but it is not really required in that sort of application and can be messy to clean up.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
garryddon
Finding My Feet

Hi mate

thats very good job ✌️

Can I do the same on plaster wall?? with studs 

Ofcourse 4 strong brackets instead of 2 

Please reply

Thanks

Garry

Hi @garryddon,

Welcome to the community. It's terrific to have you join us. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Let me tag the wonderful @ProjectPete so he is alerted to your question about replicating his popular project at your place. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion,

Jason

Gezza87
Cultivating a Following

Hi @ProjectPete,

The desk looks great what, plaster did you use to refill over the brackets please?

Thanks

Gezza

Hi @garryddon,

If you can locate the studs and fix the brackets onto them, I see no reason why you couldn't plaster over them as @ProjectPete has with the brick wall. My only real concern is there might be a little flex to the timber and your topcoat plaster could get hairlines cracks. I'm sure Pete can let us know if he believes it will be an issue. 

Mitchell

Hi @garryddon - I agree with @MitchellM. Structurally it's fine however slight movement is likely to cause minor cracking. When that occurs, fill with a flexible filler and you should be OK.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks @ProjectPete and @MitchellMc  for replying

I will post the images once done

Cheers

Garry

raaaaaani
Finding My Feet

Hi @ProjectPete.diy

I'm planning on doing the same so it was amazing to find this post! I have masonry outer walls.

I'm going to be using:

- An acacia wood panel (https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032)

- Four 500mm x 300mm galvanised steel brackets (https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-500-x-300-x-40mm-heavy-duty-galvanised-twisted-stay-bracket_p396...)

I was told by my local Bunnings advisor to use some 10×80mm screws, but I think they might be too long (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-80mm-ultra-long-hex-anchor-rampug-10-pack_p2260099) another person advised me to used 6Gx40mm timber screws with 7×25mm wall but those seem too flimsy.

Do you think there is a better option in terms of screws, am I on the right track? Any kind of help would be amazing!

Thanks!

Re: Floating bar/dining bench

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @raaaaaani. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I would say the recommended Ramset 10 x 80mm Ultra Long Hex Anchor Rampug 10 Pack is pretty close to what is needed. The bolts are not only supporting the weight of the timber top and what is sitting on it but also anyone that potentially leans their weight onto it. It's also not just the direct weight on top of it but weight towards the front edge 600mm away from the wall puts exponentially more stress on the anchors.

The next size down appears to be a Ramset 10 x 50mm Anchor RamPlug - 20 Pack and I feel this is too short. I would go with the 80mm as they will be more than adequate and prevent any future issues.

@ProjectPete might like to add his thoughts on whether it is excessive or not.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Re: Floating bar/dining bench

Thank you! Do you think it might be too long for the apartment wall?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects