Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating desk - brick wall install

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Floating desk - brick wall install

Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpgI recently installed the below floating desk for a customer of mine so I thought I'd share the process at a high level and the end result which we're all pretty happy with :smile:

First challenge - it's a 2880mm desk so it was important to get the right brackets and support in place. 

I got my kitchen guy to cut a length of laminate to size and I got to work on cutting channels in the underside of the desk to hide the brackets. Of course my sister hadn't returned my router and given she lives an hour away, I got to work with a chisel and a multitool. Bit of extra elbow grease required and not as clean finish as a router, but it did the job well enough.

20181009_092639.jpg 20181009_091303.jpg

Next it was time to measure up the walls of the study to install the angle brackets including cutting channels into the plaster on a brick wall to conceal the two large supporting brackets.

20181009_113706.jpg

To finish it all off I pop the desk on top, screw it to the brackets, plaster/sand/paint over the wall channels and finish the edges on top with white silicone. Unfortunately don't have a photo of the desk set up yet but will do soon. 

20181014_084541.jpg 20181021_115729.jpg Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpg

Hope you like it :grin:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Floating bar/dining bench

Hi @raaaaaani,

When you say you have masonry walls, do you know what they are constructed from? Would they be brick or perhaps poured concrete? It would really depend on how thick your walls are to say if 80mm is too long for them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CarlosA
Finding My Feet

Re: Floating desk - brick wall install

@ProjectPete 

Hi Mate,

Great Job!

I would like to know, Did you cut it to the exact length or a few mms short to allow you to fit between walls?

If so, how many mms short I should allow to fit it without issues?

Thank you

Best Regards

Carlos

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CarlosA

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for joining the discussion.

It's wonderful to see that this project has inspired you to make your own floating desk. Let me tag @ProjectPete to make him aware of your kind words and question. Since house walls are notoriously not square, it would be safe to allow a 2mm difference on each side of the benchtop. The space can be filled with a Gap Filler to give you a nice clean finish.

An excellent tool to use on your wall is either a Trojan 250mm Try And Mitre Square or Empire 180mm Aluminium Rafter Square. It will tell you straight away if your wall is square or not. 

It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @CarlosA! As @EricL said, 2mm either side is sufficient. 

The problem is, walls are rarely straight/square so you need to measure at 3 points for the width/length and determine your overall measurement from there.

If you're walls are nice and square you can get away with 1mm either side but if can make install trickier with less wriggle room.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
haych
Finding My Feet

Nice job  👍 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @haych. It's wonderful to have you join us, and I'm pleased to see you've enjoyed this project.

Are you looking to create your own floating desk? Our knowledgeable members will be keen to assist if you are as desk projects are always popular within the community.

We look forward to hearing about your plans and projects around the house and garden. Please let us know if you ever have something to share or need help with a project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects