Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gas fireplace stone cladding

Jimi
Making a Splash

Gas fireplace stone cladding

This one was fun to knock down - finally completed the last room in my house which has been empty for the last 4 years.

Quite straight forward to build; timber frame, cement sheet and stone cladding. Gas heater installed by qualified trade and other than cutting almost every stone piece, this was knocked down in less than a week. Cutting of the stone was a nightmare in the sense of the mess that it obviously makes, I did all cuts in the garage and everything was covered in dust.

Best advice I can give is to have a good quality masonry cutting disc for a small grinder, this will make cuts much easier. Splashed some cash on some furniture and it is the perfect spot once the kids go to bed!

IMG_20210715_223211.jpgIMG_20210715_223156.jpgIMG_20210214_203958.jpg

Jimi
Making a Splash

Re: Gas Fireplace

IMG_20210205_192606.jpgIMG_20210326_183828.jpgIMG_20210403_200032.jpgIMG_20210715_223446.jpg

shauny
Building a Reputation

That's come up a treat mate, looks really good.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Fantastic job Jimi...Anyone would think that was a real chimney!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jimi

Thank you for sharing your Gas Fireplace project.

What a beautiful fireplace project. The stone cladding gives it such a rich texture and the overall look just blends in so well with the room and furniture. What kind of budget do you recommend putting aside for this type of remodeling? Was there anything that you would have done differently if you had to do it again? I'm sure our members would love to know more about the steps you took to build your fireplace.

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dreamydiy
Just Starting Out

Re: Gas fireplace stone cladding

Hey, that's a fantastic looking space! This inspired me to do a fireplace makeover.

I have an old fireplace which is already fitted with new gas log fire. Came with the house, so wasn't me who fitted the gas log.

The existing surround is very wide and outdated, nearly as wide as the fireplace itself on both sides. Plus the mantel is super high. They basically take the best tv placement in the house.

I have to ask the community member, can anyone let me know if there are any regulations for the mantel and surround? Google search came up with nothing. Plenty for the fireplace, but can't find anything about the surround and mantel.

Want to get rid of the surround completely if possible and lower the mantel for a clean look.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dreamydiy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your fireplace surround.

Before you begin your project, I suggest doing some research about the current fireplace that you have. There should be a tag or nameplate attached to the front of the unit. If you're in luck it might even have the model number attached. I propose tracking down the manufacturer and downloading the user manual. Your current fireplace will have installation recommendations on how far the mantle should be and other information concerning the distance of items from the unit itself. 

Another source I suggest checking is your local council, they will have rules and regulations concerning the installation of the fireplace and the required distance of the mantle to the top of the fireplace. The only other source of information I can suggest is to speak to a professional fireplace installer. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your revamped fireplace surround.

Eric

Hi @dreamydiy,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Just wondering if you have had any luck finding any details about your gas log fire as per Eric's reply? We are keen to assist. 

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects