Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an indoor monkey bar?

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

How to build an indoor monkey bar?

Hello All, 

I am looking for ideas on Indoor Monkey Bar for my special needs child.... something like this , I am happy to learn, got few tools at home :smile: are there any workshops I can attend?

Thank you in advance.

Snip20210626_8.png

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Wood joint help for indoor monkey bar

Hello All,

I have just started to learn some woodworking during the lockdown from the online videos. I am planning to build an indoor monkey bar something similar to the images below. I am planning to use 90*45mm or 90*35mm untreated pine. 

Joint 1 Given the height of the monkey bar is approx 1.75 meters, what's the best and strongest method to join the vertical and horizontal? dowel or tenon & mortise or screws? or any other? 

Joint 2: This will act as a supporter of the vertical post. Can I use a bolt here?

Joint 1.JPG

Joint 3: 

Joint 2.JPG

Thank you in advance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood joint help

Hello @JohnC5

It's great to see that you have made a start to your project. I recommend using screws such as the Zenith 8G x 75mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 16 Pack. I suggest two screws for both the bottom and top parts of the brace. Please remember to drill pilot holes for the screws so that you will avoid snapping the heads off. You can use thicker screws like the Zenith 10G x 75mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 50 Pack if you want it stronger. 

Let me tag our experienced members @LePallet and @Brad for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your project assembled.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Books have been written on joints.

I would use a lap joint on the corner and screw in the braces, given the length I would expect to use a router. Coach bolts are commonly used but if gluing dowel pins can also be used.

Through mortice and tenon mot likely the strongest joint you can make for a structual joint, not for a novice in DIY.

Floating tenons mostly cut by an expensive machine and has many fans but I am not one of them.

Biscuits more for alignment than strengh.

Dowels as much as I like them they are not best suited to this kind of project.

Pocket hole screws, novice friendly but only looks good from one side, I have the machine to drill them but I am not a fan.

There is dovetail joints and a whole lot more that could be used but wont be.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JohnC5,

It's fantastic to see @Brad has provided some excellent suggestions on the types of joints you can use. 

I'd suggest joint three is going to have the most stress applied to it. I quite like the idea of having that diagonal support bolted through the side of the upright and horizontal timber, as per the first image. Personally, I would place two bolts instead of their one at both locations where the brace meets the vertical and horizontal timbers. It also looks like they've added an additional piece of triangular shaped ply to reinforce this joint which is a great idea.

Joints one and two are reasonably static and won't see nearly as much strain put on them.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Which timber to use?

All,

I am building my first project indoor 'Monkey Bar' I was able to build a prototype based on suggestions from the previous posts. 

Now for the actual one, given that there is a shortage of timber, I am not able to get UNTREATED PINE anywhere in the bunnings nearby. There are few treated ones that I am hesitating to use for indoor stuff. 

Which one is better for indoor projects? MGP10 Untreated Pine Timber Framingvs F5 Structural Pine(assuming it is untreated)? what's the difference between them

Thanks in advance

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which timber to use?

Hello @JohnC5

I recommend using MGP10 Untreated Pine Timber Framing. Please do not use any type of treated timber as it contains CCA, which is a chemical preservative. Please be aware that health hazards may result from exposure to copper chromium arsenic (CCA) treated timber. For information and tips, click on the links contained in the Health and Safety section of the Bunnings Website.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Hello @EricL  Thank you for the advice. Appreciate it. Could you also advise on https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-35mm-f5-structural-pine-linear-metre_p8031656

Do you recommend this as I don't seem to find it anywhere in bunnings?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JohnC5

There could be a number of reasons you are not able to get this particular timber at the moment. I will make some inquiries for you and find out. However, I still recommend using untreated timber for your project. Can you please tell me which store is the closest to you? Once I have more information I will let you know. 

Eric

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Thank you very much @EricL 

- Northmead - 2152

- Seven Hills - 2147

These are the closest ones.

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Morning @EricL Just checking if you had a chance to check on my request with the store. Thank you in advance

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects