Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard?

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

How to convert ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard?

Hi , I've recently bought a single fold out bed ottoman. I am planning on upholstering it and in the process want to convert the single top to a folding half top to make it have a headboard when the bed is out.

Basically I need to remove the fabric and foam , cut the wood top in half and add a few hinges before adding cut foam back on and upholstering. (See drawings).

Does anyone have any suggestions to how heavy duty the hinges , is 100mm overkill? (or how many needed) as it could be sat on while closed.

Would I need to add a sliver of wood under the hinge screws to secure it more?

16368698063427792576308716733780.jpg

20211114_101633.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: converting ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard

Hi @Nellstar,

This sounds like a wonderful project. Some before and after images would be fantastic. 

How thick is the top currently on the unit? 100mm is likely a little overkill, and you could drop that down to 75m or even 50mm if you add three or four hinges. I'd also recommend you consider a continuous piano hinge, which is what would generally be used in this type of application. Typically, the upholstering would be done first, and then the hinges added afterwards. That's unless you are very proficient at upholstering and can do so around the hinges.

If the lid is at least 19mm thick and made from solid timber, I wouldn't think any additional timber is needed to secure the hinges. The two sections of the top will be supported on both their ends and one side by the base. Once you have the hinges in the middle, that should give you a fairly solid top that you can sit upon.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Thanks ! Should the hinges be under the lid or on top? What would be more secure, noting the added weight when someone sits on it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You must place the hinges on the underside of the lid for it to fold as you've drawn @Nellstar.

If you can provide details on what the top is made from and its thickness, our members and I would be better placed to advise whether the top would be suitable for sitting on. As mentioned, the two lid sections are well supported on all sides, bar the middle where the hinge will join them. If the lid has a reasonable thickness, then I would think it would support someone's weight even without the hinges in the middle. If the lid is not self-supporting without the hinges in the middle, I would question whether adding them would solve the issue.

Mitchell

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

The wood of the lid is 2cm thick and the screws that were in the existing hinges were 1.5cm long.

20211115_171906.jpg

20211115_171251.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nellstar

Thank you so much for posting those photos. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the whole ottoman with the lid open and the bed folded out? This will allow our members to see if the lid sits on the sides of the ottoman or is supported from within. Once our members see the whole picture, they'll be able to give you a comprehensive recommendation.

I agree with my colleague @MitchellMc's recommendation on using a piano hinge. This will give you overall support throughout the join. Let me just compliment you on your excellent diagram and on how you plan on modifying the ottoman. Your objectives are very clear on your plan. We just need to see the fine details to make sure that it will be safe both in its folded and unfolded position.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the photos of the ottoman.

Eric

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Thankyou Erik,

Here are the photos of the lid, it does sit on the top of the bottom frame. I have removed all the lids fabric and am ready to cut the lid(see photo). I expect that by adding in the hinges to the centre, the front edge of the lid will push out over the lip a bit , but I am happy to deal with that minor issue.

The inside of the lid seems to have been built a little to low and the lining rubs on the top of the bed mechanism when closed. I can't see a simple way to fix this other than adding a small wood boarder around the inside edge to lift it up off the base frame. Im not sure if this is worth the effort.

16369735308576620540098513845084.jpg

Resized_20211110_141532.jpeg

20211115_165451.jpg

20211115_165433.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nellstar

Thank you for posting the photos of your ottoman. It looks very nice and once you add the folding headboard function. It'll add an extra feature to your pullout bed. Looking at the photo, I only worry about the gas struts holding the lid. In its folded position it'll hit the struts preventing you from folding it fully. Will you be taking them out so that you can fold the lid neatly or will you be just leaving it as is and have the fold on an angle?

I recommend when attaching the piano hinge to have it short by 25mm from the edge of the hinge so that it won't be in the way when you close the lid. About adding a wood border around the edge, if the hinge hits the bed mechanism you won't have a choice but to add the border. I suggest giving it a test before you screw the lid back on.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @tom_builds for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

From what I can see on commercial ones they still have the gas struts but just bolt them a little lower down and the lid just sits on them. I don't mind the lid only folding on a little angle as its just there to fill the gap at the head of the bed, the small angle shouldn't take up any of the length of the bed..

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would cut the top so that it folds into place just above the struts.

You may want to put some padding between the struts then to fill the gap if we have made a new problem to fix.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects