Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate tea table?

DK
Just Starting Out

How to renovate tea table?

Hi Team

I like this tea table but after using for years, the paint faded and fell. I have no idea how to renovate it like which paint I should buy to match the original colour and how to do it step by step. hope someone can give me advices. Thanks

{original colour}

WechatIMG974.jpeg

WechatIMG973.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: how to renovate tea table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DK. It's wonderful to have you join us and we'd love to help with this project.

The Bunnings team has created plenty of step-by-step guides to make it easy to get started on a project like this one. Check out these guides:

Let me tag @JoeAzza, @craftyhopper and @DanaR who may be able to share upcycling tips and how they choose the right stain for their projects. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to help when he's back on the site on Sunday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to renovate tea table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DK.

It appears like you'll need to do a reasonably thorough restoration on the table, which will probably involve stripping the current finish off entirely with either paint stripper or sandpaper. A detail sander would come in handy for this project and make your life easy.

It will be reasonably hard to pinpoint an exact colour stain for you to purchase which will replicate the current coating exactly. I presume this is an oriental style piece of furniture? The red lacquer used for painting this type of furniture initially came from the Chinese lacquer tree, coloured with powdered cinnabar or red ochre (ferric oxide), giving the sap a red-orange tint. This coating replicates the original and could be any number of red-tinted dyes/stains. I'd suggest having a word with one of our knowledgeable paint team members in-store and discussing what red stains/varnishes are available. Anything with a name like Cherry, Rose Mahogany or Pohutakawa would be a good place to start. Remember to always do a test section in an inconspicuous area before committing to coating the whole project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects