Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked acrylic desk chair?

SequoiaDawn
Getting Established

How to repair cracked acrylic desk chair?

Hi all! I unfortunately have a broken acrylic chair which just so happens to sadly be my FAVORITE (just my luck). I have tried to find the same exact one online, in stores, and through re-sellers to replace/repurchase it and haven’t had any success in my mission (again just my luck)! I absolutely LOVE this chair. It matches my Vanity Room PERFECTLY and I haven’t been able to find one that I like better than this one (so unlucky, catching on now?)! Do y’all have any idea if it’s fixable? I’m willing to try ANYTHING! And if it can be repaired, how would I go about that and what tools/materials would I need? I’m thinking it already had a crack in it prior to breaking, I’ve had it for awhile now but I sat on it one day and hit the floor! I’ve attached some pictures from different angles so you can see everything in hopes it’ll show a way to fuse it back together. I’m not sure if this will help or even matter but the brand name is Tainoki! Thanks SO SO SO much in advance for any tips, advice, and *fingers crossed* solutions. If anyone needs any additional information or more detailed pictures let me know and I’ll happily provide them! ♥♥♥

961D3B21-9C87-4943-9BEF-DF47EADDEDDC.png

91A03AE4-F783-49DB-8DDC-E8A90546931A.png

96F23390-DCB1-47DC-AAD4-F2CF88DD7451.png

E9E23EA0-97D6-408F-8A42-262354CF0AF6.png

1067AC51-382B-443D-90DF-DCDF003EF11F.png

3FCA020F-7738-45B9-A11C-CDFC835B5380.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ♥ Cracked/Broken Acrylic Desk Chair! ♥

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SequoiaDawn. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing this acrylic chair.

I'm not too fond of the chances of you being able to fix the chair. The main issue is that we can infer from it breaking that the design perhaps isn't fantastic or there were existing stress points in the acrylic. Any repair we consider would need to be stronger than the original chair for it not to crack again. 

You could try a solvent-based adhesive such as Selleys 30ml All Fix Small Jobs Glue. It bonds very well to acrylics and perspex, but we're asking it to hold your weight on a thin 1cm wide join. That's a whole heap of stress on a tiny location.

The only other thing I can think of would be installing some reinforcement plates under the crack. This will be problematic since it's a clear chair, and you'll see the plates.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members, @Noyade, @TedBear and @Remarka6le, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

There is also another Selleys product called All Fix Multi Grip..It's specifically made for gluing acrylics and it dries clear..

Further to that..you can make your own glue by adding acrylic chips to acetone until you have a runny glue..

That's what must acrylic fabricators use..

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

I understand the love for the chair, and back the advice of @MitchellMc @Prof , but I wouldn't sit on that even if repaired and would be purchasing a replacement, that is a massive break going through close to the center of the chair where a large majority of pressure is going to be placed, it's way too much of a safety risk. 

I can, however, help with finding you a replacement. That is a gold polka dot acrylic desk chair by Tainoki ,might be worth reaching out to them to see if you can get a replacement :smile: 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What do you think about trying to re-create the chair @SequoiaDawn? After an extensive search trying to track down the Tainoki chair, I didn't have any luck, but I did find plenty of clear acrylic chairs. Perhaps you could spraypaint the gold dots on the underside?

Mitchell

It would certainly work, would just need to get some perfect circles with a few templates. 

Remarka6le

Thank you so much for the advice! I may try reaching out to the company about a possible replacement. I was also worried about not being able to use the chair again if it was repaired due to the place of the break! I also had the idea of buying that exact same chair and spray painting or even finding gold polka-dot appliqués to apply. If all else fails I could still attempt the repair! I’ll come back to let y’all know how it goes. Fingers crossed! 🤞🏻

I definitely think I’m going to reach out to them and see what they can do! If they don’t have another I may try getting the same style chair and just spray painting the gold polka dots or looking for gold polka dot appliqués to apply. Either way I’ll come back and let y’all know how it goes! Thank y’all so much for the info. If you happen to come across the same chair from Tainoki online let me know, I’ve been hunting for it for awhile now! I purchased mine at TJ Maxx years ago. 

Keep us updated @SequoiaDawn. Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects