Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame?

David4321
Finding My Feet

How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame?

IMG_2356.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg

 Heavy rain comes in the top of our timber windows.  Have tried numerous rubber sealants.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks Bunnings

Regards

David

Re: How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame

Dave

you have hit on an idea I had and that is to run a strip as you describe on the top outside of each window so the strip closes against the frame. I could even pad along the inside of the strip with a runner to give extra protection against rain running down the wall??

Very much appreciate your advice.

Regards

David4321

Hi Dave

Your idea of a bottom door seal positioned at the top of the window is a great one. I had been thinking along a similar line (inverting the seal?). Perhaps even add a runner at the top of the seal to help against the rain water that runs down wall. 

Really appreciate your advice and I plan to give it a go. ( you may find a separate response floating about as I learn the communication process).

Best regards

David4321

Thank you Jacob . Very grateful for your experienced advice. Will add the products to my Bunnings shopping list which even identifies the bay and aisles where I can find each product.

Regards

David4321

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame?

Morning @David4321 

First stop is verifing that the awnings work, I really like them and how they are supposed to work but with the water you descibe I am thinking it runs under the awning piece and then into the window area.

If they are dry then maybe the other ideas :smile: But it would solve your problem if they are letting water through.

Dave

Good point, thank you - I will check the awning-wall seals.

Regards

David4321

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @David4321 

I was in the dentist's waiting room this morning flicking through one of those "Better Homes than Yours" magazines and found an ad where a young woman is clearly admiring her angled hinged windows. I thought of this thread - and wondered how this window manufacturer can seal a window like this?

Yet we're having no luck with yours?

20240409_104357.jpg

Interesting Noyade.

Heading out to Bunnings to pick up some of the seals and other items recommended.

Also - I am wondering if this door seal on the top outside of the window where it shuts against the Frame might work?

Thanks to all the helpful contributors.

David4321

IMG_2401.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi David @David4321 

Would it be worth talking to the manufacturer/installer for advice/suggestions?

Or are these windows quite old?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @David4321 

That seal you've just put in might actually stop or at least lessen the amount of water travelling into the interior side of the window. I'm just worried that the mounting tape might not be enough to hold it in place. I propose adding extra mounting tape such as Scotch-Mount Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape 2.5cm x 1.5m.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

These are cedar windows made 15 years ago @Noyade. Will check if manufacturer is still around.

Thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects