Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mini bar for a fireplace niche

EdwardW
Having an Impact

Mini bar for a fireplace niche

A mini bar I have built for a friend... The electric heater niche was empty, and it seemed like a great idea. 

The body is 19mm structural plywood, sanded and finished with wipe on polyurethane. Face frame and the doors are made of some recycled pacific maple I had laying around the shop, finished with hardwax oil. Eventually the back mirror, as well as the glass in the doors are acrylic.

All the joinery of the box and the face frame is pocket holes, while the doors were made using a router and rails&styles bits. 

Door handles - polished brass small knobs. Hinges - I ordered specially, as I liked those snake hinges. Also polished brass. 

IMG-20200809-WA0013(1).jpg

IMG-20200809-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20200809-WA0022.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Mini bar for a fireplace niche

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop community @EdwardW.

What a clever way to repurpose the space! Having a shelf for glasses is a very thoughtful touch. I can't wait to see your next project. 

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks fantastic!

How deep is it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a brilliant use of a problematic area @EdwardW! I'm very impressed with your woodworking skills as well. I'll be looking forward to your future contributions as I trust they will be of great inspiration to many of our members.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks great @EdwardW, very well done. I have featured your handiwork on our Project Gallery so plenty of members can get inspired to do something similar. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Jason

@Noyade 

Thank you!

Overall depth of the niche is 180mm. The cabinet effective depth is 150mm. The doors are inset into the face frame which is 19mm thick. 

EdwardW
Having an Impact

@Jason

Thank you!

More are coming indeed. 

@MitchellMc

Thank you! I've only started 3 years ago, but try to challenge myself with more and more complex projects.

This one for example was one of the very first ones... Built out of simple structural pine boards. 

20171112_202023.jpg

panky
Finding My Feet

What a fantastic idea. 10/10. I think I will do that as well. THANK YOU

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @panky. It's terrific that you've joined us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @EdwardW, so he is alerted to your kind feedback.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members contribute their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects