Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mounting large 75" TV to wall with steel frame

eneity
Growing in Experience

Mounting large 75" TV to wall with steel frame

Hi everyone, 

I've been researching how to mount a large TV to a wall with steel frame and stumbled upon this lovely community. I've read a few discussions here, but I was unable to find a topic directly about mounting a large TV to steel framed wall. 

So I've got a True Core steel framed drywall and I'm looking to mount a 75" TV, about 30kg. I've purchased this bracket here: https://www.bunnings.com.au/sanus-large-full-motion-tv-wall-mount-bracket_p0247047

The bracket itself is probably about 15kg by the feel (the weight info on the website is incorrect). So all up about 45kg to be mounted to the wall. 

For the size of the bracket, I should be able to find at least 2 steel studs behind the wall, so 4 screws can be used to attach the bracket to the wall. 

I'm wondering what screws I should use for the job? The supply lag screws seem unsuitable for the job (the manual says they are for timber studs). I saw this product being suggested in another topic, but wonder if they are too small for the load? (https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-10g-x-50mm-gold-passivated-countersunk-head-metal-screws-50-pack_...

The Zenith screws are indeed much smaller than the supplied lag screws (photo). 

Toggles are also being suggested (https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=ramset%20toggle&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=60) but they all seem to only hold 10kg each, so 40kg for 4 toggles won't be enough for the required load (maybe this means 10kg each when fixed to drywall instead of the steel stud, but I'm not sure). I also have insulation in the wall so I'm concerned that the toggles may not span out properly. 

Would really appreciate any suggestions on how I should proceed. Many thanks!

Screws comparsion.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mounting large 75" TV to wall with steel frame

Hello @eneity

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting your TV on a steel frame.

Notice how big, wide, and long the screw and threads are on the supplied packet. This is because it is rated to carry a large amount of weight. If you're going to use self-tapping steel screws, It would have to be of a similar size and perhaps half the length of the provided screw. Imagine the screw itself would have to pass through the frame of the TV bracket conservatively 3mm thick, then through the plaster 10mm before it hits the steel frame. I would suggest a screw not less than 50mm in length and at least 14 gauge in thickness.  

However, you'll notice that the Sanus Installation Manual does not mention a steel frame installation step. This is because it is difficult to tell how thick the steel is behind your plasterboard wall. It would be dangerous to assume the thickness of the steel frame is strong enough to hold the combined weight of the TV and the TV bracket which is 45kg. The screw may be strong enough, but the wall of the steel frame may not be thick and strong enough to hold the weight. 

Is there another option? Yes, I suggest using a nut and bolt assembly. You can do this by marking the position of the steel studs. Then mark the position of where the fixing points will be. I recommend using Zenith M12 x 50mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolt And Nut in combination with Zenith M12 Hot Dipped Galvanised Washer. In order for you to access the inside of your steel stud, you'll have to cut a square hole about 100mm x 100mm in the plaster right above the fixing point past the frame of your TV bracket. Using the appropriate drill size, drill a hole in the marked fixing point. You'll have to do the same for all 4 fixing points. The cut out for the bottom fixing points will have to be below the TV frame so that you can repair the cuts. You can then mount the TV bracket to the steel studs and tighten the nut and bolt assembly.

Once the TV bracket is secure, you can then proceed to repair the access points you cut out of the wall. I understand that it is involved and will take a bit of effort. But you can be secure in the knowledge that your TV and TV bracket will not pull out or fall off in the middle of the night while you watch your favourite movie. I know it may sound over the top, but if it was my 75 inch TV, I wouldn't be taking any chances with installation.

It sounds like a very interesting project, any updates you can provide would be highly appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear, @ProjectPete and @JoeAzza for their recommendations on mounting on steel frame studs. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eneity
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL.

Just wondering if I could use something like this to hold on to the stud instead of using bolts and nuts (I'm assuming the idea is to spread out the pulling force to a larger surface when compared to using screws).

Also, do I have an option to use a piece of hard timber to spread out the load to more studs (3 instead of 2) like you suggested in here

Thanks again!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eneity

It's great that you saw my recommendation to @Sugar. One of the reasons that idea worked was because they were screwing into solid timber studs. In your case, I suggest using Specrite 1200 x 600mm 18mm Timber Panel Spotted Gum FJ Laminated. I recommend using self-tapping metal screws not smaller than 12g and not shorter than 60mm. Please don't use fine threaded metal screws as these thin ones don't have a large amount of holding power. Please make sure to drill pilot holes in the timber panel for ease of installation and prevent splitting.  

If you're using timber as a mounting base, I recommend at least four screws per steel stud. The entire setup should be held in place by twelve screws on three steel studs. I don't recommend getting any bigger than this as the timber will be too heavy. If while screwing the screws into the steel studs and they happen to spin in a loosely threaded manner stop. This is an indication that the steel studs are not thick enough.   

The TV bracket has provisions for eight mounting points on the rails. There are four on the top and four on the bottom. I highly recommend using all four spots to secure the TV bracket onto the timber panel. Use the provided screws and if you need more make sure to use the same sized screw with the same sized threads.

My number one tip for your installation is to make sure that your TV panel and TV bracket are at the correct height in relation to the overall size of the TV.

In reference to the Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor, it is not strong enough to hold the weight of the TV bracket and TV. Please don't use this item for your project.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your TV mounted and operational.

Eric

eneity
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL - please forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between a fine threaded metal screw and a self-tapping metal screw? Would you be able to give a few product examples of each type so I can purchase the right ones?

Thanks so much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eneity,

I've contacted Siniat, the supplier for our steel studs. They've advised that for their system, you'd be fine fixing your mounting bracket directly into two studs at four locations with the gold Zenith screws you've purchased. If you'd like something a bit chunkier, you could go for Zenith 12G x 45mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws. Our steel stud system can hold up to 50kg/m2. If you use a timber bridging piece as Eric has described, you could spread the load of the TV over three studs. A fine threaded metal screw is what you have purchased. The one I've linked to above is also a self-tapping metal screw but has a coarser thread which I believe is what Eric is suggesting.

I note that you've picked up a TV bracket that extends out from the wall. I'd highly suggest that you inhibit the extending mechanism somehow. Perhaps you could place a cable tie in the mechanism. If you pull your TV out from the wall, its weight and amount of force put on the studs and fixings exponentially increases. If someone were to lean on it extended, it would likely fall off the wall.

If in doubt, I recommend you contact the manufacturer of your steel studs and verify the appropriate installation method for TV brackets.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

eneity
Growing in Experience

Many thanks @MitchellMc and @EricL - your advice is much appreciated! I'll give it a go this weekend.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eneity

My colleague @MitchellMc's recommendations are spot on. If you look at your first photo, you'll see that the threads on the black screws are tall and far apart versus the gold plated one that has very fine threads. As I've mentioned in my last recommendation, please make sure to do all your measurements before you start drilling in your wall. In this manner, we can be sure that your TV will be at the correct height when watching on your sofa.

Before I forget, this would be an excellent time for you to plan your cable management as well. If you have a TV box or game console, I suggest using DETA White Brush Wall Cover Plate for inwall setup and multiple cable access. But if you want a surface mount setup, I suggest using D-Line 50 x 25mm 1m TV Wall Drop Adhesive Cable Management Cover - White for easy access and upgrading. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your TV mounted and ready for use.

Eric

eneity
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL and @MitchellMc for your advice. Just want to report back on the project. 

I'm very happy with how it turned out. I used a piece of plywood (600 x 1000 x 17mm) to spread the weight of the system across 4 studs, 2 of the 4 studs are also connected to the bracket through the plywood. 

The system appears strong enough to hold the weight of the TV, even when fully extended out, probably 0.8m out from the bracket. No sign of stress (frame creaking noise, etc.). I did this as a test only, the TV is normally kept close to the bracket as @MitchellMc suggested. 

Materials used:

Plywood - cut to size at Bunnings. I heard plywood is lighter and stronger than pine, which is why I picked it. I ended up with lots of unused plywood, saved for something else. 

Metal screws - 12 screws used across 4 studs (3 screws per stud), 4 screws also go through the bracket. 

- Timber screws - 5 more screws were used to fix the bracket to the plywood, no studs behind.

Thanks again for all your help guys! Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @eneity

It's great to hear that you've managed to mount your TV. Thank you for sharing the details of your installation. Would it be possible for you to post photos of your finished project? I'm sure it will come in handy for our members who are in the same situation. If possible a picture of the plywood attached to the wall would be excellent.    

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects