Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My second upcycled drawers

Ranirecycled_22
Growing in Experience

My second upcycled drawers

I found 2 bedside cabinets on the side of the road as a hard rubbish throw out. the shape caught my eye immediately. They were pretty grubby and a couple of drawers were missing. I took them home and gave them a good wipe down. I was hoping the wood underneath would be decent. The outside wood was only old ply but the drawer fronts looked like Oak or Vic Ash so I knew I could give them a go.

I used paint stripper to remove all the thick glossy cream paint then sanded everything back. I applied a dark oak tint to the front drawers and wooden legs and painted the rest of the cabinets Porters Paints Eggshell finish Baby Doll - but I added some extra red and a touch of yellow to get the pink exactly how I wanted it. I used some offcuts from my old drawers upcycle to make the drawer handles and painted some of the pink on the top of them. I still have to apply a few coats of matt clear finish to protect it. I'm happy with the result.

Before and after front viewBefore and after front viewBefore and after side view.jpgTable styled.jpgtable styled 2.jpg

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Re: My second upcycled drawers

Congratulations @Ranirecycled_22 on giving another set of drawers a modern, new look.  That shade of pink is stunning, and adds a wonderful new vibe to the drawers. Do you have any tips on painting wood or mixing colours for our members? 

I like how you've managed to repurpose old leftover materials in both your upcycled drawers. It's such a great idea, reducing waste and adding character at the same time. Looking forward to seeing what project you tackle next. 

Congratulations once again. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Akanksha.

I've learned the importance of sanding back as smoothly as possible and that undercoat/primer makes all the difference to the final finish....

It was a bit of an experiment with the colour and a bit risky - but it paid off. The paint was called Baby Doll - but after I painted one side it dried too light and subtle for what I was aiming for. So I added some acrylic red and a small amount of ochre to give it a bit more punch.

One tip is to be very careful how much extra colour you add, do it in tiny increments. Too much can change the colour dramatically and if it's expensive chalk  paint you don't want to waste your money. Can't wait to start he next one!

Very practical tips, thanks for sharing @Ranirecycled_22. If I had a penny for each time I ended up with a paint shade I didn't really like, I'd be rich. 

Can't wait to see your next project! Let us know if you need a hand with it, and we'd be happy to assist. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects