Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Old sideboard saved from landfill

Claire84
Having an Impact

Old sideboard saved from landfill

I found this piece in the back of on old antique shop and had to have it what a bargain at $50.

There was minimal damage so I just sanded the top back to raw wood, I purchased some triangular shaped dowels from bunnings timber section to add as a feature on the doors and mirror, they were cut to size and glued on. I have  painted in a light green colour with a paint designed for furniture and the raw top was sealed to keep the natural look, inside painted in a cool grey paint, drawers we lightly painted and lined with adhesive vinyl new handles were added to give a modern new look. It always feels good to revive and old piece of furniture and give it a second life bunnings definitely has all the supplies needed to get the job done.

E80659DF-215B-4FF7-AF50-5985397CF3E6.jpeg

07F6FA0A-982E-4035-B448-70919ECCC2AF.jpeg

65251AFF-C5BC-424C-AA99-E8249ADE069B.jpeg

BA101B07-D44F-4FF9-92AC-CFD5E65BD656.jpeg

824DE7F6-D6A5-4767-A1E5-154F7F5C24E9.jpeg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Old sideboard saved from landfill

Another terrific restoration, @Claire84! Reminds me of these amazing upcycled buffets shared by some of our other members. 

I've been enjoying reading your different upcycling projects. You've clearly got an eye for seeking out the potential in dated furniture and a creative vision that you execute beautifully. Can't wait to see more of your work. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much @Akanksha 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Claire84

I'm in total agreement with you that giving used furniture a second life is a fantastic way of recycling. People often are too quick to throw or disregard solid timber furniture these days. I'm quite confident that my solid timber coffee table can withstand several rounds of upcycling. I doubt the same can be said for those modern laminated tables that lose their integrity on the first signs of stress or water immersion.

For a moment there, I thought you had painted those timber highlights in gold. The contrast on the green paint is fantastic and comes off as an excellent feature. 

Thank you for sharing your sideboard upcycling project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL,

I agree I’d rather repurpose or restore a solid piece than buy the laminate furniture in its place

Thanks Claire

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects