Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing a mantelpiece

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Removing a mantelpiece

Google has failed me on how this was fixed on. I want to keep the tiles for sentimental reasons and replace the top with Tas Oak to match how the furniture will be. I could take off the quarter round to see if there is a clue to how it is fixed on. Wallpaper will be going as well.Wallpaper will be going as well.

Has cupped as one of it’s sins.Has cupped as one of it’s sins.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Removing a mantle piece.

Hi @Brad I’m taking a guess here based on a couple of fireplaces that I’ve had. It’s either an old fireplace, and someone has tiled the timber surround (looks like the insert is no longer present). However, judging by the glimpse of skirting board, this is not an old house (say 1900 - 1930)? So, the other alternative is that it might be an old gas heater (1970’s - and I have one), that someone has removed the heater from, added the tiles to the surround and bought an old mantle piece for it. The actual mantle piece look like an old one you’d pick up at the salvage yard, and is possibly upside down 😂 

If it was genuine (that is “old”), it would probably have nails - a pair at either end fixing into the most solid part of the structure (timber) underneath - the underneath would be secured into the wall (??masonry/limestone) by nails into wooden wedges.

If it’s a 1970s style place, built of double brick, then it’s possibly a brick surround for a gas heater underneath those tiles. The size of the tiles and the width of the grouting, plus the skirtingboard kind of screams 1970 to me - I’m looking at something similar, in it’s original form, right now :smile:

Think you’re correct, remove the quarter round and have a gentle pry with screwdriver and see if it lifts - it’s possible that it’s not well installed at all, and will easily come away, hope this offers some clues, cheers Deb :smile:

@Mathy 

Hey Deb😁

I just wanted to say your knowledge base absolutely blows me away. I always love being involved in your discussions.

I have alot of respect for you abilities and skill set.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

It dates back to 1955. Backs onto double brick wall, brick chimney and fan forced wood heater are originals. I know my Grandfather did the tiling on it as part of his job, this and the toilet floor are still original. Given that it is fairly square I am guessing it is brick underneath rather than wood as most of the wood in the house has twisted. Thanks for the clues.

@Brad as a tiler Brad I know alot of the original tiling back then was all handfixed not done with a notch trowel.

I'm wondering if the actual mantle has a middle wooden T section that is cement in as the bricks and then the tiling was then later done.

I've only pulled down a handful of old chimney heater mantels like that. 

So the 1/4 round was easy to take off, tiles go to the top so it makes it hard to lever up with out damage to them. Opened enough gap in between the wall and ran a multi-tool blade along the widest part of the gap and it feels like there is no wall fixing and it feels more masonry than wooden bottoming out. I will see if it will jack up from one end to pull any nails out when I have some spare time.
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

There ends the easy part.
4 bolts set into concrete that was also used to hold the top row of tiles. Under that it is brick.
Now I could go all Kirsten Ramsay and try to fix the tiles or admit I am not stoked with the colour they are and move onto something else that I do like.
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Remove timber beading with sharp chisel and see if it is glued on. Then using the persuader gently tap along bottom base to loosen mantle. Gently...gently...gently.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hey @Brad - could you explain the 4 bolts into concrete a bit better? They’re holding on the top row of tiles? Are sure the “concrete” isn’t grey, cement based tile adhesive? And what sort of bolts? Are they Dynabolts, or some sort of bolt headed thing that’s been sunk into a wall plug?

Don’t go Kirsten Ramsay just yet. If it’s a old cement based tile adhesive, those tiles might come off quite easily, I’ve just removed 7sqm of 1” mosaics from that sort of stuff. I’m just trying to figure out what the bolts are actually doing. Cheers Deb :smile:

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks like the tiles were fixed to brick and were used as formwork to pour concrete which then had the top placed with the bolt heads down locking it in when it set.

Bolts screwed in.Bolts screwed in.

ConcreteConcrete

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects