Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Student desk with a Spotted Gum top

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Student desk with a Spotted Gum top

20210618_105135.jpg

Hi everyone,

I made a variation on my computer desk build for my youngest son who just started High School. It measure 2000m long, 500mm deep and is about 780mm high. The bill of materials and the instructions are in my previous post "computer desk build" but this time I decided to use a spotted gum top which was available from Bunnings. 

We painted the frame using Dulux Gloss (White on White) and gave it three coats. The top was sanded with 240 grit sandpaper and coated using Timber Protect One Coat Clear (water base version/gloss). Three coats were applied with a final sand down (hand-sanding) after the last coat.The top was fixed to the frame using a adhesive and brackets to hold the top in place. I made the desk at 500mm deep to fit into the space and not to overwhelm his room. 

All we have to do now, is to get him to sit down and do his homework:-) All the best everyone.

The spotted gum just looks amazingThe spotted gum just looks amazing

Joining the legsJoining the legsAssembling the timber frameAssembling the timber frameAligning the bracketsAligning the bracketsFixing in the cross barsFixing in the cross barsFrame all done in 30 minutesFrame all done in 30 minutes

Brackets to hold the legsBrackets to hold the legsBrackets to hold the topBrackets to hold the topSanding - it is so important when getting the top readySanding - it is so important when getting the top ready

donalla
Getting Established

Re: Student desk with a Spotted Gum top

Thank you Eric I will do I am excited about building it!

Donalla

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @donalla ,

That's so cool and I cannot wait to see your two desk and under $100 is just amazing, well done on that. Don't forgot the KUGGIS organiser for your Alex drawer:-)

donalla
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL  sorry it's been soo long since I posted. I did end up making two desks (I now have them side by side to make a square almost) I will try and take some photos very soon of them. I'm just in the process of making over an older cupboard for my business. I used the offcuts of the desktops to make some moveable side by side bench spaces as well using the cube system bunnings also has and some wheels (that's for another post) once I have my workspace organised (it's chaotic atm) I will take photos etc of what I have been up to. Hope you are well @Nham and been doing lots more projects too :laugh:

Donalla.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's wonderful to hear, @donalla! Please do update us with those pictures when you get the chance; we'll all be waiting to see.

Remember to reach out any time you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nham
Becoming a Leader

Wow @donalla, you made two desks, that's very cool. Still doing odd jobs around the house, been trying to reuse a lot of materials to reduce land waste. Pick up a few pallets and wanted to make a garden tool rack. Keep well😀

Nham 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects